What the heck? Another weird concentric vent boot. Anyone seen this before?

I do not know what I am looking at. 2019 Townhouse. This is the gas fired tankless concentric vent.
Now the boot? Did they just not weave it in or is this a anti-animal contraption? Thanks in advance

2 Likes

Looks like the shingles went up before the vent and nobody went back to put the flashing in properly.

Roofer probably said not my job. HVAC guy said not my job and here we are.

7 Likes

The HVAC guy don’t like roofs.

4 Likes

I agree and that is most likely what has occurred. Attic has SPF insulation on the roof decking which is either holding up for the moment or concealing the leak.

But, it is definitely a “newer” product I have yet to encounter. The vent looks like it could “swivel” to compensate for different roof pitches (or slope,LOL)

3 Likes

Yup! Scott has it…

3 Likes

For anyone who cares, this was a two-story townhouse. The rear roof was not visible from the ground, and too tall for my ladder preference. My camera pole extension caught this photo. Obviously overlooked by the builder and any inspector before me.

I’m looking forward to getting my drone license when I come up for air, but this $100 pole is worth it in the interim.

Thanks for the input.

4 Likes

What pole is it Brian?

1 Like

See if this link works @tglaze

4 Likes

Thanks! I’ve seen the DocaPoles and they seem to be good for the price. Can’t bring myself to pay $275 for the other one(s)…

2 Likes

I have nothing to compare it to. Another inspector recommended this one…so I bought it without research. But, it is easy to use and gets easier each time I use it.

I can also wash my camper with it, lol.

4 Likes

I’ve got the same pole and am happy with it. Used to have one from Lowes that wasn’t as easily adjustable. This one is nicely adjustable.

4 Likes

I have a drone but the pole would still be nice for when you just need a few shots of a specific area and in attics where I won’t deploy the drone. How do you tell the phone to take a picture with your setup? Just put it on video and send it?

3 Likes

Same here, 24’ Docapole. Think I paid $80 cad for it.

5 Likes
2 Likes

I think your (OP) assessment is spot on. I haven’t seen flashing like that one, but wow!

Also, another vote for the Doca Pole. There are a lot of areas around my area that a drone can’t be used, so the pole with a wi-fi enabled camera and phone attached to the pole on a ram mount works great. Just be careful and stay away from power lines!

4 Likes

I also have the 24’ Docapole and also a Drone. These and my ladders handle most everything.

5 Likes

I have a mount at the top of the pole for my Canon SX620HS. A mount at the bottom for my Samsung Galaxy S20. Just wifi connect between the two.

6 Likes

Similar here, I use the NEC connect feature.

3 Likes

That’s probably not a bad idea. Would hate to send up my phone that is integral to the inspection process.

3 Likes

If you use apple products you can send your phone up on the pole and mirror the screen to your iPad.

3 Likes