Which tools for moisture testing?

Hello, somewhat new inspector here…

I am looking at different instruments for moisture measurement, but there are many choices at many different prices and I would like to spend wisely.

Should I get one that scans across a surface, or one with probes, or both?

I guess with EIFS testing, you need one with a probe at least 3 inches long…

What have your experiences been with this and what would you recommend?

You will get many replies , but from watching this topic a long time , I can tell you that Surveymaster Protometer seems to get the best all around reviews.

More than one is needed if you wish to be all encompassing.

Sorry Bob,
Just had to do it… it’s Protimeter.
Ben Gromicko says the same thing on his video.

Thanks, just slap the babbling idiot.:twisted:

Believe it or not I concur with Robert. I have one and it has severed me very well.

thanks for the advice, looks like I’ll be getting that one.

myself i use the protimeter aquant…does the job and leaves no holes for customer complaints…jmo…jim

I was thinking I would need to be able to do both a non-invasive detection of moisture behind the wall AND then do a poke test to see the water content…

What do you think?

Me too


Good point. I got the dual purpose SurveyMaster, but never take the cap off the pins.

John Kogel

Same here…works well!

I use the Protimeter Mini and it works very well (I’m very discreet with my holes:cool:). It’s the only one I’ve ever used so I can’t compare with the others.

ummm, what about this thread?


Sounds kinda like without going into the wall, you cannot get a definitive answer because of many variables…
Just so ya know, stucco is a real common dealeo here in florida.

I have this along with a GE Protimeter non-invasive meter. The BCam also works well.

I use both features… a lot. Now that I’m used to having both I wouldn’t be happy without both. The pin meters will give fairly accurate readings and the search feature will look behid tile and vinyl.

It’s not necessary to poke holes with the pins. You can even use them to get a reading from concrete.

Thanks for that, Ken !! :cool: I will certainly check that out.

Do you ever drill the holes for the long extension pins? I considered doing that recently on a 40 year old log home, but when I got there, the rot spots were obvious. :stuck_out_tongue:

Not for logs. I have the resistograph for finding internal decay (see it here, scroll to bottom of page). It’s the cone of decay in the exterior corners of logs that you need to figure out.

I’ve used them on one EIFS building. That’s once in 7 years. Most inspectors I know who have them hardly ever use them. They can be used to measure moisture levels in the interior of wood structural members, though.
If you drop a dead front screw down a grate you can use them like chopsticks if it’s not too deep. :|.)

And in a pinch you can use them to eat lunch when you get screwed at the drive thru from the chinese joint.

My chopsticks are carefully packed away in my kit somewhere. For dropped screws, i’ve got my X-tendo magnet, or my bag-o-screws. For lunch, I got pliers.
But I don’t got a Resistograph. :frowning: Where did you get yours, Kenton?