Why CMI?

Thanks George this post keeps surfacing .
I see that most who are concerned are not CMIs .
Most who are happy with the system of the CMI are CMIs .
Now I am one who is satisfied and pleased to be a CMI .
I am not disappointed to see some who want nothing to do with being a CMI and I think that’s Great .
Of Course please understand by you and others not coming aboard makes it better for me and the other CMIs.
Of Course the door will not be shut for you to join at a latter date just be a little more expensive to open it that’s all.
all the Best … Roy

LOL…George. Sometimes we all do things in our marketing that others might not necessarily find to be advantagous.

For example, some choose to use their CMI designation on their web sites while others…well, they might prefer to inform the public about the names of their family pets.:wink: I guess whether it is a professional designation or the name of a family pet, what an inspector chooses to publish regarding his potential for performing a good home inspection is a personal choice — not necessarily meant to impress other inspectors as much as it is to justify his higher fee to potential clients.

I think Roy makes the best point — that point being that those who have the designation find it worthwhile and the complaints about it originate NOT from those who have it, but from those who don’t. In my opinion, that does even more to increase the perceived value of having it.

Gaining a CMI designation is both rewarding, and self-satisfying. More education towards the real estate agents nationwide about the CMI designation is badly needed, and misinterpretations explained fully to future home buyers.

I think CMI is one of Nick’s better ideas that has been implemented. It has helped me out a lot in my business.

Originally, Nick planned for CMI to be a tier level for NACHI members and I was among the many who argued against that, at that time. I wish I hadn’t.

A formal letter from Nick to the NAR and several other state organizations may be of interest to all heads of those associations. Details and advantages to all in the RE transaction should be explained, and promoted by all RE’s nationwide, with the blessing of the NAR. The letter should contain examples of litigation caused by not hiring the best available home inspector by the home buyer and real estate agent. It may be eye-opening to several people also to mention litigation differences between the home inspector associations as well.

Screw the NAR.

A letter from Nick will never convince them to legitimize their profession.

Let’s face it…when you are wanting your house to sell you don’t go out and find the most honest, integral and “buyer friendly” agent you can find. You want somebody who can sell reading glasses to Stevie Wonder for twice what you paid for them.

Selling houses…not representing buyers…is where brokers, who fund the NAR, make their money. Home inspectors who know how to find more defects than others are NOT at the top of their shopping list.

As a seller, you would expect that from them.

Nick is very wise not to listen to some voices…:mrgreen:

Speaking of CMI, Nick, do you think you can send someone out to the mailbox to retrieve my application?:neutral:

It looks like they are going to waive the criminal background check since the state of Florida already did one for you to get your license. That should speed things up.

Thank You!

Exactly

And to some earlier posts, you do not gain a CMI, you just buy it… So what.

I totally agree and think those who are considering CMI to take a week and just think about it…

I qualified when it was first offered…Still thinking about it. :wink:

Get back to me next year… :cool:

Customers do not care about it at all.

Of all the qualifications, licenses, certifications, guarantees, association memberships, insurances, professional designations, bla, bla, bla that you can present to your potential clients… *Certified Master Inspector *is the only one consumers instantly perceive as having value… to them. CMI needs no explanation, yet says it all… instantly.

Everything else is just a big yawn to consumers.

Are you including my Nachi Logo?
Should I take it down?:slight_smile:
Since you have nothing to do with CMI can we state NACHI membership is not as good as CMI?..Yikes!!!

Nick probably won’t say it…but, hey. You’re right.

That depends. Are you a Certified Full Time Professional Home Inspector? :stuck_out_tongue: :roll:

It’s marketing. A level of achievment. Whatever. It works here. I’m one of only two in SD and the only one in Wyoming. I’m the only CMI for about a 400 mile radius. Sets me apart. I’m happy.

These same customers think the BBB Accredits your Business. :cool:

CMI is all Hat and No Cattle. :wink: