Why I feel RE Agents are Corupt.IMO

I’m married to a Realtor and she does know me…

She does disclose the relationship. The list she hands out includes my company along with other inspectors in the area. No one is forced to choose me. I don’t pay referral fees. I just do the best job I possibly can.

There are other agents that use me for that reason. They trust I will take care of my clients. In fact, I send out a survey after each inspection and my clients rate me extremely high (currently 100%). I do get testimonials from my clients and with their permission I post them on my website.

Their may be some “bad apples” out there and unfortunately it’s the same within our industry.

Greg,

I agree with ya fella…however the conflict of interest you pose is a little different and you handle it with honor. I think in most cases atleast from what i see is that the majority of RE Agents simply recommend someone THEY may trust…but why do they TRUST them?

Please don’t think I am saying all Agents are corupt…I might have come across that way in the post…I still have HOPE for the industry…really I do.

All industries have hurdles to overcome, I most certainly agree

BTW,

I also send surveys to Realtors that I’ve worked with on both sides of the transaction and there isn’t a question, “Did the deal close?” – It doesn’t matter to me.

Customer service, Knowlege, and Professionalism is most important.

Agree with your statements…totally…however… not sure how it applies to the example I gave but what you are doing will set you apart and serve you VERY well.

The agents that refer me to their clients do so (according to several) because:

1. The client signs an inspection agreement, and a standards of practice document acknowledging they understand what my inspection consists of

2. I show up on time and my client understands that the inspection will take the better part of a half day (rarely does one take that long, but in case it does they need to schedule their time)

3. I am neatly dressed and my truck is clean

4. I have a full complement of tools necessary to perform my job

5. I explain what I am doing to the home owner if they are present

6. I encourage my client to accompany me (where it is safe)

7. I explain what I see and why it may be a concern

8. I offer an immediate report summary with a detailed report with appropriate photographs available on a web site at a later time.

9. I accept cash, check or credit cards

Am I biased? You bet. I am biased to provide the best inspection possible to allow my client to understand the condition of the house they are buying. Couldn’t care less about the feelings of the buying agent, selling agent or selling owner regarding what I am doing.

I am glad they refer their clients to me.:wink:

AHhhh…but what if they did NOT refer to you and you STILL had all those things going for you.

And you KNEW this for a FACT…would your view change?

I simply think RE Agents should be UNBIAS and simply provide their clients with a list of at least (3) home inspectors they feel comfortable with and can clearly say who they have used and feel comfortable with…but if I am the buyer and I get an HI shoved down MY throat I am going to think TWICE…simply because I know Agents and I know ALOT of agents and some personal ones in my family…many start out with GREAT intentions and then sell about 5-10 homes in a 2 month span and see the commissions and well…they get addicted to the SALES.

Not all mind you…i am sure their are some out their that disagree…just giving my opinion is all…for what it worth…

This is so true! Re-agents will do anything to include keeping info from a buyer. I had one agent not show pics I had taken on a garage which had structural problems! I showed the agent those pics! She put those in her brief case! The buyer did not see those pics! I was hired by a out of town seller who used this re-agent as my contact so I could inspect the home. Should I have contacted that buyer later and disclose those pictures?? The seller and this agent were my contacts, not the buyer! I did not know what to do!!

IMO, you work for who hires you. Your obligation is to your client. If the buyer didn’t hire an inspector, that is their choice (an unwise one at that).

If you are inspecting a house for your client as a buyer and run into an unsafe condition that could affect the people living in the house you are inspecting then it’s your duty to inform the property owner of that unsafe condition and recommend immediate action.

Greg,

I think we are talking about (2) different things here…not the obligation of a GOOD home inspector. My post was in reference to the RE Agents who do not provide a LIST of home inspectors to allow the CLIENT to choose from.

The Client puts ALOT of trust in a RE Agent because they feel a fiduciary right to them…BUT we have seen in MANY cases the RE Agent will not provide this information because it could harm the sale.

This is the dreaded “DEAL KILLER” senerio…has nothing to do with a good Hi doing a GOOD job…but more so a RE Agent not being FAIR to the entire HI industry in a certain location for WHAT ever reason.

Granted they may refer a certain HI because he/she is GOOD and they know this for a fact…still does not negate the FACT the client does not know his and SHOULD have a right to choose who they would like to do the inspection based on a conversation and review of credits the HI has by the client…not at the choice of the RE Agent.

Nothing wrong with the HI the agent would choose to be # 1 on that list…BUT they should offer multiple choices for the client the same as they would probably offer multiple lender choices.

Thats all i was saying…everything you posted was correct and makes a GREAT asset to an HI…and VERY honorable…however I am speaking of the RE Agent…you know the same one that wanted a panel to be 100A when it really is only 60A…WHY because it would sell better as far as the Electrical goes if it was 100A…

Now…you set them straight as a GOOD inspector would which is awesome but it does not negate the FACT they tried…and that is a small wanker compaired to some things they try…i could tell you stories after stories that have been told to me…I have alot of HI friends who I have helped locally over the years with electrical issues and advice.

This is the quote I was referring to in my last post. I probably should have included it

AHHH…gotcha brother…no worries i should have read the post better…:slight_smile:

Paul
Don’t let the Guru naysayers get you down. :slight_smile:
I think that you have alot to offer your clients with your electrical background…and well lets just say others that try to tear you down for your niche marketing, just probably don’t have anything special to offer their clients. LOL
I do have a question regarding the client at the kennel who was going to use you, until their agent recommended someone else.
I have a little insight to the thinking of agents, as my wife is a licensed RE agent here in Washington, currently she is inactive for those members that want to verify licensing status. (and no I never inspect her clients purchases-extreme conflict of interest)
My question is wether it is possible that this agent believed she was doing her client a service by recommending a home inspector that she knew, and that she trusted to do a thorough inspection.
Back to my wife for a second, when she was actively selling real estate, she did have home inspectors she recommended for how well they could do the job. She understood the implications of a less than perfect inspection, which could return to haunt her in the form of a lawsuit down the road. She wanted the best inspector for her clients because it helped protect her from liability also. When a buyer brought their own inspector she was always nervous that this unknown inspector might not find everything, and that she would be pulled into litigation in the future.
She never worried about what if the inspector found too much. That meant he was doing his job, and her theory was that if the buyers decided they did not want this house, there were always other homes. She could find them something that would be acceptable.
So back to the other agent, is it possible that she just wanted someone she “knew” would do an outstanding inspection. --not saying you couldn’t do a better inspection, but she did not work with you before to know.
I have many agents that recommend me because they have a long track record of satisfied clients who I have performed home inspections for with no complaints.

I personally agree with you, I am sure you are 100%. However, one little question popped up into my mind.

If a client of your wife’s (or anyone else in this situation) has had the nature of the relationship disclosed to them, do you think it’s possible that they might select you because they fear that they won’t get the best service from your wife if they don’t select you?

Now please understand, it was just a thought that popped up in my head, no serious issues here, but I’m curious what your take on the thought is, with all due respect.

Thanks in advance,
Wendy

I think that is an excellent point Harold. If I were a client I would far and away rather my agent referred me to someone they knew was an excellent, thorough inspector, rather than gave me the “book of inspectors” like they do around here.

It seems that on this BB there is the opinion that all realtors are corrupt and none of them have good ethics, when I think by far that is the exception rather than the rule. I know most of the realtors personally around here and have known them for years before I got into the business. They are all good, ethical people. Also though, none of them refers inspectors they only hand out a folder with everyone’s cards (hundreds) and let the clients select who they will use.

Wendy,
I’m not a psychologist (or a psychic) for that matter so I don’t think I can really answer that question. But IMO, by the time an offer to purchase has been made there has been a significant amount of time that the buyer has worked with the Realtor and a relationship has been established.

I do know for a fact nothing is even mentioned regarding the home inspector until AFTER the offer to purchase has been accepted. It really is irrelevant until then.

• The offer is drafted
  • The home inspection contingency is either included or not in the offer
  • The seller accepts the offer
  • If there is a Home Inspection contingency, the clock starts ticking…
  • Typically at that time the buyer starts to scramble to find one of us.
    The majority of the Realtor’s service has all ready been performed showing after showing after showing… The contract and most of the negotiation is all ready completed before any of us gets involved.

BTW, my wife is now only doing Ral Estate part time is finishing her Masters Degree in counseling FWIW. :slight_smile:

Actually…to set the record straight the RE Agent met with them before they became a client of my kennel. They came in and saw my business card on the counter and asked my wife about me. The client then said her sister told her that accepting the HI a RE Agent recommends smells FUNNY to her so I nor anyone at the kennel had to tell her ANYTHING…she liked our kennel and liked my qualifications in both the HI and Electrical industry and felt I was a good choice…nothing more.

As for the intent of the RE Agent…I was only saying I did not go into business Yesterday…been doing inspections since 1988 and this happens ALOT…in VA the RE Agents are supposed to give a list of at minimum (3) HI’s to allow the client to choose…now…with that said…

Everyone in debate of the original post has FAMILY or a WIFE who is an agent so their is this need to support them or protect them, I am not saying these experences happen to all HI’s or RE Agents…

But…I don’t for one second think a RE Agent cares about their client nearly as much as others may think they do…they are a client and potential income and anything that could harm that income in a market where it is VERY competitive lends to coruption in my mind.

As for the GURU haters…lol…hell I don’t pay them any mind…I have forgotten more than they will ever know about my profession so I ignore them.

ALSO…in all the examples to support the RE Agents they are either inactive or part time…the MAJORITY of the ones I know are full time and the major bread winners in the family…I KNOW they have an agenda because I ask them.

I spoke to the TOP guy and previous president of the HRAR in VA and he told me POINT BLANK…his firm which is the largest and has nearly 125 agents that they will only recommend a HI that is in the best interest of the firm and said I will let you determine what I am saying…I HAD this very conversation and he is the biggest and most WELL KNOWN broker in our area.

He is ALSO the broker who TRIED for (2) years while on the VA board of realtors to get HI’s governed under the RE Board so they could control the HI’s in VA…which failed but he was VERY vocal in his intent.

He also went on to say what he also does not like about HI’s is that they try to predict things, he said…look paul…if the roof is not leaking now even if worn it should not be on the report regardless of the condition. He also went on to say other things.

So you are asking me WHY he told me these things…well because I know him rather well and have attended RE Classes in his firm to stay up to date on changes to the RE Industry and he felt relaxed with me.

I need to clarify something…lol…

1.) If my wife was a RE Agent I would defend her as well so please don’t take offense to my opinions regarding RE Agents.

2.) I have probably 40 RE Agent friends and I do business with some of them but I tell them…supply the client with (3) names and not just mine.

3.) Do not take my comments personal…they are only my opinions so please again just my view with so many years of seeing these experiences and what other HI’s have posted.

Please dont take offense…none intended.

That’s exactly it. There’s nothing personal in any of this. My question was just a curiosity, nothing more. I just was wondering if any one else thought there was any substance to it, more than just fluff.

It’s okay with me if it’s just fluff. Wouldn’t be the first time. :wink:

This is WHY you find them ETHICAL…they leave the option up to the client as it should be. However, I find it difficult to believe they provide HUNDREDS of these…hell I dont know how many HI’s are in your area but that seems a bit broad.

Anyway…like I said, it is MY opinion and only mine and if others agree then it may be their opinion as well but opinions are like A-holes…everyones got em…and I sure have my share…but I have been told I am a total A-HOLE most of the time so it fits…:slight_smile:

Take the guy who sold me my land back in the early 90’s when I built my facility, I got to be good friends with him and his father passed him down a HUGE real estate empire of clients. He told me one day that once you get addicted to the nice commissions that come along with “MAKING” the sale…your vision is sometimes blurred…and he was a friend.

So…I had another experience…

Did an inspection for a client ( which I have done 3 for since ) and we get along great. I did an inspection on a house that had been a government forclosure and sat on the market for 4 years before a firm agreed to sell it…

So his NEW agent took him to the house and he liked it and had me do an inspection, now I am a tactful inspector so I break it down for the guy and well it had major issues…in fact it was settling so bad the HVAC pad had sunk down 1 foot…HVAC was sinking and in the basement on that side of the house LARGE cracks and moisture just pouring in the walls…

Among those things…I did my report and gave the facts…so my client moved on to the NEXT house…called me to do the inspection and what did his agent say…" You are not going to use Mr. Abernathy again are you, he puts everything in the report, I have a good one you can use."

My client promply told the RE Agent…they are done working together as he knew I was looking out for his interests…NOT the RE Agent…

And this is not an isolated story…I hear similar things all over the country