Wind and Hail Damage Inspections Course

I inspected a roof for wind and hail damage in Port Salerno Florida. The hail impacts on the roof are consistent with the size impacts on various metal components around the house. There were 15 plus hail impacts in a 10 by 10 test square. The gutters and soft metals were also damaged.

15 tools every homeowner should own. Adjustable wrenches are somewhat awkward to use and can damage a bolt or nut if they are not handled properly. However, adjustable wrenches are ideal for situations where you need two wrenches of the same size. A traditional two-battery flashlight is usually sufficient, as larger flashlights may be too unwieldy. Tape measures come in many lengths, although 25 feet is best. Measure everything at least twice to ensure accuracy.

Inspecting roof flashings
Flashing is sheet metal fabricated to a specific shape and designed to prevent water from penetrating the roof system. It’s used in areas of a roof that are especially likely to leak. Multiple methods can be used to install flashing correctly, so you won’t always be looking for one method and calling everything else a defect. You’ll be trying to confirm that flashing is installed in a manner which will prevent moisture entry, and you’ll be looking for corrosion.

I preformed a roof inspection for my requirement. During the inspection I looked for evidence of hail damage. In Pennsylvania hail damage is rare and I did not find any evidence of damage.

http://www.dmhihomeinspections.com

I read the two required articles. The most important item I have taken away is that the inspector must be able to tell the difference between actual hail damage and intentional damage. Not that the home owner may have caused the damage but that the source was not hail.

http://www.dmhihomeinspections.com

I read the course instruction on how to take a non-invasive mold sampling test. I already have taken hundreds of mold air sampling tests using Pro-Labs equipment. One thing I didn’t no is they prefer taking 2 outdoor tests, so this reading assignment was helpful.

The second reading course I read was on inspecting asbestos siding, one thing not mentioned in the inspection of asbestos siding is there is no way you can tell if the siding has asbestos in the panels or not unless a sample is sent into Intel for examination.

Hello Members,
Here is a recent hail damaged roof I inspected in Sidney, MT. This roof turned out to be a total loss as I met with the insurance adjuster on this roof; note: this roof on the first inspection (which I was not present for) was denied. I took this course to show adjusters I am qualified to inspect wind/hail damaged roofs.

Upon inspecting the roof which was 3 tab, gable roof wind damage was spotted. However investigation was done to see if it was mechanical or wind damage. Upon inspecting it was determined homeowner had wind damaged. There were also prior uplift of the shingles on the corner of the gable roof, and the shingles on the prior picture were pulled upward too. There was debris found on the shingles as well, which occurred from wind. The tabs were flipped, and tabs around it could easily be flipped by hand.

This article was very informative, I was aware of all the tools a homeowner should own except for a Hacksaw and a Torpedo level. Those things never came to mind. A hacksaw would definitely come in handy for cutting metal objects, I wish I had one several months back ago! and a Torpedo level would have been useful when I was building a shelf for my kitchen as well, would have def made life easier to determine if it was correctly oriented.

This article is terrific if a homeowner is trying to save every last penny for their home. The article should be a bible to keep somewhere in a home. Most people aren’t aware of the ways to save money and energy in their home, a perfect example is myself! For instance I’m not great at sealing my home, which I should make more of an effort or even changing the way I do laundry much more efficiently, the article definitely brings awareness to may things

This roof is fairly new. It was patched after a wind storm. Two tree branches pierced the roof like arrows and caused leaks. The repair was made with a type of vinyl roof patch.

I read two articles on Mastering Roof Inspections, Part 1 and Part 2.

Part 1:
Hail causes extensive damage and expensive repairs. Hail forms in supercells. An updraft lifts dust particles into the upper reaches of the supercell. ice forms on them. The ice balls fall until another updraft sends them aloft. Eventually the hailstone becomes to heavy and it plunges to the earth.

Part 2:
Basically hail causes two types of damage: cosmetic and functional.
Functional damage is that which shortens the life of the item. It is a loss of value.

Cosmetic damage is simply that the looks of an item has suffered.

Usually the insurance adjuster makes the decision based upon the insurance carrier’s guide lines.

The roof surface materials of the home were asphalt composition shingles. The observed areas were in poor condition. The shingles were showing advanced signs of deterioration and replacement, by a qualified professional, is recommended to prevent moisture intrusion and damage tot he substrates.

Measuring Roof Slope and Pitch

As outlined in this article the roof slope is a more accurate means of communicating information. It is also easier to put into to common language to help a client understand the concept. Being able to identify the slope, whether using conventional (analog) equipment or the quick and easy use of an application for your smartphone is key for the Inspector when reporting on the type of materials and, in some instances, the use of improper surface coverings for the roof.

Roofing Underlayment Types

In our region, the typical new home construction methodologies employ the use of asphalt-saturated felt. Because of the drastic changes in temperature during the winter months we experience temperatures above freezing many days of the winter. This, compounded by heavy snow loads, often results in severe ice damning in older homes. To help prevent moisture intrusion, ice&water protection is adopted by most of the roofing professionals. This can equate to additional asphalt-saturated felt or the application of an adhesive rubberized membrane.

HailRoofClassPics 002.JPG

The above picture is of a damaged shingle on my personal house. The shingles used on the home are fiberglass laminate shingles. The house is only 2 months old. There has been no hail in the area since the home has been finished. The damage on the shingle appears to have been made by the roofers maybe stepping too close to the edge or having a hand grasp the edge tearing the edge of the shingle.

HailRoofClassPics 002.JPG

The articles I chose were consistent with the class material on roof inspections regarding hail.

Being able to identify hail damage versus other types of damage on the roof is important especially on the insurance side of things. Once it is determined that there is hail damage to the roof deciding which areas are functional damage and cosmetic damage should come into consideration. Functional damage being materials that are physically damage so that they will not or have lost some ability to function as intended. Or, cosmetic damage being materials that are blemished, but otherwise function normally.

Being able to tell the difference between the two will help when performing roof inspections in the future.

Damage to metal surfaces should be inspected for. These dents will most likely not have scratches in them. Scratches inside the dented area may be a sign of intentional mechanical damage.

“Mastering Roof Inspections: Wind Damage, Part 1 and 2.”
Wind slows down when obstructions are present. Areas like shoes lines where very little obstructions are present should be inspected carefully. the slopes of the roof facing the shoreline especially.

In this picture we can see the east slope of a house with asphalt shingles installed. The roof is in great condition. No cracks, splits, sign of cosmetic or functional damage made intentionally or by hailstones was found on any of the shingles on the whole slope. The roof seems completely clean of trees branches. There was also no sign of wind damage. All the shingles on the roof were in place. No shingles missing were spotted.

Attic Area Roof Inspection

When inspecting the attic area of a house you should start by wearing a respiratory. Attic areas are full of particles that could cause illnes. The attic area is a great place to find leaks. Look for daylight and inspect any roof penetrations. It is also a good practice to use a moisture meter. Keep in mind that decay fungi become active at a 20% moisture in materials and that it also reproduces at a 27%.
Remember, report what you see like any black or white spots that could be caused by decay.

Some other components that can be check from the attic are:

Broken sagging or damage framing components
Sheathing that has been cut for ventilations
Insulation blockinf soffit vents, and
H clips that might not be required by every jurisdiction.

Attic Ventilation Systems part 1

Poor roof ventilation can reduce the lifespan of the the asphalt shingles and black felt underlayment. It also has an effect in the homes comfort levels and removes moisture that could cause roofing components corrosion, mold and decay.

One of the most effective ways to keep an attic area well ventilated is the use of thermostatically controlled fans.

These kind of fans are usually controlled by a thermostat and are installed on the gable side of a home or the roof between rafters.

Hi everyone,

My name Ivan, I wish everyone have an excellent day.