Wind Mit on a Condo

Question I have is can I as a Licensed Home Inspector do a Condo Wind Mit?
If so how have you guys attacked the roof question?

It is my understanding this requires a Type II or III with a minimum qualification of CGC (assuming it is a true condo and not a townhome). If so, I could help you out.

Thanks William for straightening that out for me.

Building wide Typt II or III, no. But you should be able perform a WM on the individual unit.

condo owners do not own the structure/roof. the type II or III wind rating is on the whole building and is generally insured with the HOA. very few units would even have access to the trusses. any agent asking a CO for a wind mit is wrong. perhaps you could document shutter protection but how would that help if the neighbor didn’t have it? No, wind mit is type II or III only on a condo. again, I’m not talking about a townhome that may call itself a condo.

Min qualification is CBC and a type II or III is only required for structures over 3 stories. Being a condo has nothing to do with it.

Mike’s tip of the day.

Always ask the client to tell you what form they want filled out.

You fill out what they request and they pay for it and it is a done deal.

Never try to figure out what their insurance company wants.

Have them tell you what they want and supply it.

Done Deal :slight_smile:

Ditto. 1802’s are done on condo buildings for hoa’s and individual unit owners all the time. It just has to meet the height requirement for the 1802 if it’s for the association master policy. If its for a unit…height doesn’t matter.

Min qualification is CBC and a type II or III is only required for structures over 3 stories. Being a condo has nothing to do with it.

CBC won’t cover a Type II over 4 stories or a Type III at all as the license is only good to 4 stories (Chapter 489).

How are you doing 1802’s on multi-story condos? The person living on the 8th floor does not have access to the roof connection on the 15th floor. Generally speaking, neither does the 15th floor.

Just because I can’t build one doesn’t mean I can’t do a type II or III…Same form…read it.

And Michelle is correct, these would only be used for the association policy.

Ok If that is the case then how is the roof question and attachment points answered on an 1802? Seriously, I have one in question that is a three story condo, unit is on the 2nd story, how does one attack the roof attachment question?

Listen to Michelle, she will not steer you wrong.

You are only inspecting the individual condo unit that the owner is insuring. A concrete box in most cases. The roof structure 3 stories above the unit you are inspecting, is not factored in to the 1802. In many cases it is a shutter inspection.

You MUST be a GC to do the building wide inspection for the HOA.

I’m sending you a PM on the how to.

You are only inspecting the individual condo unit that the owner is insuring. A concrete box in most cases. The roof structure 3 stories above the unit you are inspecting, is not factored in to the 1802. In many cases it is a shutter inspection.

That is what I said earlier. Best you can do is document shutters/glazing.

Roof covering - unknown
Attic - no access
Shutter protection - doesn’t matter if all windows in bldg are not equally covered

1802 - worthless

William,

I have been doing wind mits on all kinds of building since 2007 MIT II & IIIs on all stories and have not had one report kicked back and I am a CBC

Can anyone confirm this, and/or weigh in with opinions? I.E., you must consider all windows in building and not all windows for the individual condo you are inspecting (doing 1802 for)?

Opening protection is for individual unit and the rest is for the entire building on the 1802. At least that is what Citizens wants.

Thanks - that’s what I thought.

An 1802 on an individual condo will only reflect the shutter protection of that individual condo. The presence or absence of opening protection in other parts of the building is irrevelant to the 1802 being performed on the individual condo. The other windows/doors are not part of the insured or inspected property.

A building wide type II or type III wind mit does factor in every opening in the entire structure.

If you have questions about these inspections, I recommend trying to get a ride along or seeking out advice on these inspections from inspectors who perform these inspection often and you should be okay. :slight_smile:

Come to the conference to hear more about the wind mits.

http://orlandoconference.inspectorpages.com/