Wind Mit Scenario #2

Test Your Wind Mit Knowledge

Wind Mit Scenario 1 asked how to classify the openings of this home with the garage door having glazing as shown.

Using the same information as posted in Wind Mit Scenario 1 – This time assume **THAT THERE IS NO GLAZING IN THE OVERHEAD GARAGE DOOR **(even though it is shown in the pictures)
How would you classify the “Opening Protection” ?
Does form 1802 provide a clear choice for this scenario?

facts are as follows:

• All windows had storm protection in the form of panels. Assume all storm panels had Miami Dade County NOA (9 lbs).
  • The garage door did not have any additional storm protection. Assume garage door is original 1986 construction.
  • The garage door was as per photos (except assume no glazing for this scenario).
  • House was built in 1986

http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachments/f73/38411d1281541333t-wind-mit-scenario-1-scan0001-1-.jpg
http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachments/f73/38412d1281541380t-wind-mit-scenario-1-scan0002-1-.jpg
http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachments/f73/38413d1281541404t-wind-mit-scenario-1-scan0003-1-.jpg
WM #1 info reposted:

If I understand your question:

All windows and all other glazed openings are protected with Large missile shutters. The garage door is non rated without the glass I clearly see.

Since the Garage door is not rated, figuring it in would lower the whole, I would mark E.
E. All glazed exterior opening…

However this may all be pointless, an agent told me that the underwriter(May have been Universal) gives no reduction for anything less than A.

Anyone else know if this is the case. I would be interested to know.

I agree with the E. choice. I think these wind mit senarios are a great idea. Good job Dennis.

The correct answer in this case would be I. This door cannot be identified as Miami-Dade or FBC product approved.

E. unless you had shutters for the garage, that u could not identify

Discounts are given on 9A or 9B, in my experience, some may even still give credits on 9e or 9f

John,

How can you mark it E when there is no proof of the 9lb missle test on a door that old?

Without the windows the garage door is an unglazed opening.

not rated, citizens gives credit for this

Greg,

From what I am reading the ANSI/DASMA115 test did not take effect until 2006.

If so, that would mean that a door on a 1986 home would not qualify for an E rating.

Hi Bill,

Section E through I only deals with glazed openings. So any door with no glazed (solid) openings would only be considered with section A through D.

Greg,

My mistake. I agree with you, but the only rating that would then apply would be D. If the door is not rated, that would be the only plausible answer.

I would not check D because the door is not fully protected. The door has no rating that is listed on the form. But all of the glazed openings have been protected with an approved product. That is why I would select E.

It is my understanding that if you select A, B, C or D then there are no other options that apply. I could be mistaken and welcome others opinions.

If all the glazed and unglazed openings were fully protected with Large missile - 9lb, ‘A’ would be the proper choice. Therefore, since the unglazed garage door does not, ‘E’ would be applicable.

‘E’ is the same as ‘A’ (first box - Large missile 9lb) with the exception of unglazed openings. Therefore, choosing ‘E’ indicates that there are unglazed openings present that do not have verifiable protection.

Nice descriptive wording

It would depend on weather the house with the garage door was in the HVHC zone or not. If it is not, the door does not need to be impact rated if it has no glazing. What about a garage door with glazing under the first floor of a house on pilings, for a garage that does not have a door to living space, and all walls for said garage (anything framed under the first floor and attached to the pilings) must be rated breakaway construction?

Hey Carl, Welcome to the message board. This is a super old post on a form nolonger in use. Recommend you re post your question as a new topic. It may get some attention then.:smiley: