WTF Waste Picture of the Day

A machine to send fuel oil through the house, and out the roof vents:

Pictured is the top of some pocket doors from an older home. There’s this double wall extending some 26 feet with a 2.5" wide cavity open to the attic the whole way.

Some decades ago, the insulating crew just did their thing as if this was not there. The insulation apparently did not like this, and is mostly inside the pocket now, rendering the doors inoperable (you can see it sitting one level down in the picture):

The original design decision with the open wall has been sending room warmth directly to the vented attic since 1911. The insulation contractor did not notice this, and thus achieved an R value of R0 for this section of attic.

3 Likes

Brand new DR Horton home this morning

Same crap, just another day (century). There is a cavity over the fiber glass shower enclosure letting cold attic air surround the shower. Nice cold mornings in the new home owner’s future. ( unless repaired)

7 Likes

Good find, @bhull1
Were you able to speak to the builder?
Are they going to fix this for this home, or better yet change practice for others homes in the development?

===============================
For the home I posted here’s how much difference it made

Test in: 3083 CFM50
Test out: 2370 CFM50 after 1st day of air sealing, general
Test out: 1763 CFM50 after 2nd day, pocket door

Based on 1500 square feet of floor plan, 4138 square feet for the envelope, and 15624 cubic feet for the volume: About 7 ACH50, .42 CFM per square foot of envelope or 42 CFM per square of envelope.

Bottom line:
So it went from 11 air changes per hour to 6.7 air changes per hour.
The standard for new construction sits at 3 air changes per hour at 50 pascals.
A tight home is under 1 ACH50, and a “passively heated” home could reach .5 ACH50.

The condition you found alone could cost the new owner 25%-50% more on HVAC fuel.

1 Like

I don’t talk to the builder but I talk to my clients. I hear that the builder is not disputing any of my reports because I document the defects pretty well with pictures and video.

3 Likes

5 Likes