Bird Nest On A Garage Door Opener

Ok, quick preview. Last year, two Carolina Wrens built a nest on a corner shelf in my garage next to the main car entry door. It was never used by them and I suspect do to the frequency of the door being opened or closed. I did find a a baby possum in it though and we had a fun “eviction” process to say the least.

The past few days, the wrens are back a looking for their nest. I just recently removed the shelf, along with the old nest doing a garage/spring cleaning. Just noticed they are building another nest on top of the garage door opener. 1 and half days and it’s starting to become a 3/2 with a basement. I hate to disturb it, but should I be thinking of any safety concerns regarding being built on the opener? It’s right above the lighting which only stays on for a few minutes, but the nest could be touching other electrical components… Thoughts?

Hmmm…What to do?

Burn it before the babies come while the parents are out getting nesting. :thinking:

I doubt they’ll come back next year.

3 Likes

I don’t think I would want the mess. Are there louvers on top? My wife and I have to hash this out every year. We have birds nesting all over the place. My only solution was to build bird houses so they nest where we…she wants them to.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, get rid of it.

Histoplasmosis is a disease caused by a fungus (or mold) called Histoplasma. The fungus is common in the eastern and central United States. It grows in soil and material contaminated with bat or bird droppings.

People can get histoplasmosis after breathing in the microscopic fungal spores from the air

6 Likes

I use diesel fuel for my outdoor burns. Slow an low start. Probably best best on my garage door opener too… :thinking: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: JK Larry…

2 Likes

@wbernauer and @mgoldenberg I have to agree with you both. Much to the dismay of my wife, it appears that demolition is warranted again.

Sad, but Carolina Wrens don’t prefer “houses” but nesting spots.Mostly in “open” areas that aren’t confined to small, open entry ways.

1 Like

No diesel fuel. Soak the nest in gasoline, drop a gas soaked yarn to the slab, make a puddle and small creek to the out side and light 'er off.

Whoosh! gone before you know it with little damage…honest. :wink:

3 Likes

I send you a video of “wife tears”… :joy: and it’s only a nest…

1 Like

Here kitty kitty. Meow!!!

2 Likes

Sadly enough, the same garage door was the demise of our last kitty… Probably looking for bird nests.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your cat.
Psst. Keep this strictly to yourself… Use the neighbors cats. Just lay a saucer with milk and some cat food out anonymously every night for a couple of days and voila, neighbors kitty in no time:-) Either that or insure critters do not have a nesting place on the garage.

1 Like

I am curious if you placed one of those big plastic owls nearby if the wrens would get spooked.

1 Like

It’s inside the garage and my wife is working fine for now…I didn’t say that for any records…just saying…

4 Likes

Keep the garage door closed! :smile:

4 Likes

Keep your garage door closed. All you are doing is inviting in all kinds of wildlife, including the little furry mice. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

One year I spray foamed a bunch of nesting holes bored into trees around my shop. I thought my wife was going to file for divorce.

1 Like

Haha, funny how that happens!

2 Likes

You guys are just using common sense…sheesh! :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Check this guy out, hard at work.images (10)Pileated woodpecker.

4 Likes

Yep! best answer! Can’t do it though. :wink:

1 Like