Bye bye termite profession, as we know it

It’s not an inspection tool. It’s not for termite inspectors who could “miss termite activity.”

And Sentricon was invented to “eliminate” termite colonies…and now the little buggers are all gone !!! :flushed:

Gnat possible. :fly:

1 Like

Dow did an excellent marketing job on it.
It is good for monitoring the selected area. Maybe.

OH! I have to stop by every 2 - 3 months to check if there was a “hit” on any baits & to replace the non-treated balsa wood in the plastic thingy.
I can get 15 of them for $347.00.
The average cost of a Sentricon baiting system is $1,200–$3,800 for initial installation and $280 for yearly monitoring

Please be sure to register with Termite Tom. He would love to make you the victim of his lawsuits. This was tried years ago by B&G I(i think) with an Insectascope. The only thing different is it wasnt connected to a phone.

Behind the times. It is only inspected once a year.

That’s what you can pick on OMG

Deans Services in Central Florida has 2 termite sniffing Bassett Hounds. They have a phenomenal reputation. I’m guessing most don’t go with dogs because it’s a huge investment of time and money.

3 Likes

Huge difference. The Bug isn’t an inspection tool that you use. It’s a permanently-installed early detection alarm installed inside the walls.

The Bug isn’t an inspection tool. No human uses it on an inspection. It’s a permanent monitoring device. You make a good point. Termites can do a lot of damage in a year.

Very simple terms, sound. Termites and their habits such as eating wood produce soundwaves. The method or technique is nothing new. There is equipment available in the market to help detection.

Study here Using Acoustic Emission Technique to Detect Termite Activities in Wood: Laboratory Experiment | Forest Products Journal (allenpress.com)

Per this study, Termite activities are clear and detectable in the 4.5- to 5-kHz range of frequencies.

Nick - I know this is a long way off still and I hope it works out for you. I would have some concerns about reliability of the device itself. Overtime it will degrade. Then range and location of the device. Then communication with the app and the user. Then I see substantial liability. Lots of ambulance chasers unfortunately.

I personally think the current prevention methods are suspect for the WDI industry. I am not a fan of putting out bait stations and then having a pest technician check them periodically for $600 per year is a good way to mitigate risk.

Keep us updated with developments. I’d be interested in how this turns out.

2 Likes

Ray makes an excellent point. The reliability of the device is of great concern. Being from an instrumentation/reliability background for decades, I have never seen any device that will last forever. Communication schemes change over time and all devices have an average lifespan. When the device fails to accurately sense it’s intended target within it’s average lifespan, you become liable for all undetected damage that is later discovered. I am also a licensed WDI Inspector in Texas. I get requests for WDI inspections from individuals who are utilizing VA loans. Few others. Most people do not want the expense of an inspection if not required. who would buy a product that is almost three times the cost of an inspection and that is in the Houston market. Is there some sort of low battery warning, are the hard wired? What is the cost of having an electrician to wire them in? Can the software be upgraded remotely if a software error is identified? Any gap is open forr lawsuits. Really scary.

On this very message board I can show you a zillion similar comments about our online education at first, InterNACHI becoming a University at first, Certified Master Inspector at first, negligent referral protection for agents at first, the Honor Guarantee at first, the “We’ll Buy Your Home Back” Guarantee at first, commercial inspections at first.

All of those predictions turned out to be wrong.

The only prediction of legal action that turned out to be correct was infrared. And they were right… I initially lost $800K. But then I won on appeal: Nick Gromicko Wins Seven-Year Legal Battle to Protect Home Inspectors' Right to Use Infrared Cameras - InterNACHI®

Nothing catches every WDO instantly, all the time. It doesn’t solve world hunger either. But every time The Bug does, it saves another home.

Great…another device listening to my conversations…

3 Likes

I highly recommend all the other inspectors in my area to offer this upcoming “service”… :wink:

2 Likes

Call me crazy, but it seems like if it does take off (and I have no idea because I’m not in termite territory), Nick is going to make sure members benefit.

If benefit is a euphemism for paying a small “fee” for each device placed, or some other Netflix style play book.

If this “takes off”, and that’s a Big if, I’m pretty confident states that license Termite/ Pest Control professionals would step in very quickly, and at least have their say.

Personally I believe this will have little, if any, effect on the termite profession nationwide.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that I’ve seen something like this before. I fell asleep watching a WCC football game. At 2:30 AM I woke up to an informercial with a guy in a blue shirt hocking them. It came with a free Shamwow.

3 Likes

I thought it was some Carlton Sheets audio cassettes…