Career navy electrician pursuing electrical inspector certification

Not sure if this is the right forum, so please forgive if it is not.

I bought a home that is solid structurally, roof, foundation, Sewer… but had a number of neglect issues. Brought in a contractor who replaced the water heater, fixed many plumbing issues that were both neglect and poor work by someone previous, and has replaced some rotted siding and a few missing roofing shingles to keep the water out.

We have talked a great deal and he suggested I look into certification as an electrical inspector for some part time work due to my Navy training, education and experience. Shipboard is obviously different from residential and commercial, but I know there is training available on this site.

However, I have been unable so far to find information on basic requirements to begin that training toward certification, and whether I can meet any part of those requirements with my Navy training and experience.

Can someone share with me where I can read about that? Thank you!

The forum “Electrician Talk” might be helpful and have the information your looking for. Free to join.

If you’re going to be an electrical inspector you are going to need a electrical license. The InterNACHI electrical certification is nowhere near what you’re going to need to keep yourself out of court.

I don’t see any demand for a trade that is hired for their inspection skills. What I do see is a home inspector that is hired because he is licensed in a certain trade. The electrical license will compliment the home inspection business.

Where do you want to inspect in your home state? Most states have their own requirements for the licensing of electrical inspectors.

1 Like

IMO, you are way off target (pun intended)!
If I am understanding your intentions correctly, at a minimum, you need to be ‘Code fluent’.
Begin here… https://www.iccsafe.org/

1 Like

Then my question becomes finding the requirements to obtain an electrical license.

In Kansas, yes.

And just to be clear about my intentions because you folks don’t know me, I’m not looking for some certificate mill kind of license and certification. I come from a world where if you don’t do things right–never mind all of the Quality Assurance paperwork and audits–if you don’t do things right, the submarine floods, or people die, or you destroy multi-million dollar pieces of machinery, or you could melt down a nuclear reactor.

Probably because of that career experience, in my own home, I am the master of overkill. I over-engineer things and I build things to last. I can’t build something from a kit without making it better or stronger somehow.

I have also worked in the cyber world where computer certifications became meaningless because of certificate mills that sprang up. I even have had to deal with an employee under me who falsified his resume to say he had a certification that he didn’t. They didn’t fire him–they gave him 60 days to earn the certificate.

I despise contractors who do crappy work just to make a quick buck. I believe that permits are one of the few government oversight functions that are there to protect us, and sometimes to protect people from themselves.

I look at the house I just bought. The foundation is solid which is more than we saw in many other houses we looked at, or we would not have bought this house. But with several roofing shingles missing from a roof that is in otherwise pretty good shape, every faucet leaking, every shut off valve leaking, kitchen faucet totally shot, one toilet needed new tank guts. Had to replace another toilet entirely because of a hairline tank crack and leak. Nearly every electrical receptacle is so worn out that a plug just falls out onto the floor. Every receptacle and switch has years of grime on them, and some painted over. Somebody spray painted the inside just about the same color as the inside of a submarine and got overspray on a lot of things.

I look at this and I ask how can people live like that?

So thank you all for your insights. If the answer to my question about becoming an electrical inspector is no, that I can’t do it without a ten year apprenticeship or something, then this is not something I will pursue. But I told my plumbing contractor I would look into it. He believed that my supervisory Navy Enlisted Classification Code (NEC) possibly translates to a master designation that I could leverage to becoming an inspector. Yes I need to learn the other NEC (electrical code).

1 Like

You’ll need to find out what’s required in Kansas and if your prior training is applicable. In many places something like 10 years of field training are required to become an EI.

And one other thought, like it or not you will need to leave anal, over engineered ideas at home. The NEC is a minimum standard and inspections are to find compliance with that minimum standard even when it means you have to approve less than stellar work.
For those of us who take pride in our work that can be the hardest part

1 Like

I can only speak from personal experience but nothing from my Navy tour helped me with being a good home inspector…your mileage may differ…

3 Likes

That isn’t what I meant. I’m just saying I’m not one to do things half-assed. I do take pride in doing what I do right.

I don’t want to pick a fight with you, but are you saying you learned nothing about professionalism from your Navy experience?

He was under the bunk most of the time. :wink: Please excuse him. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Sniffing and licking socks. :wink:

2 Likes

Got it. That’s a good attitude to bring to the table. Hopefully for you Kansas will give you some credit for your previous experience. Speaking from personal experience it may be best for you to get a job as an electrician to first learn the trade. There are things that cannot be learned from books or sitting in a classroom which is why most places require some level of field experience before you can qualify to sit for the inspectors exam. Best of luck to you and let us know how you’re progressing.

3 Likes

As Larry and Scott mentioned Jim…my military experience was likely much different than Yours…When I wasn’t in the generator room I was in the Engine room…Feeding 1200 lb steam at 950 degrees into turbine operated equipment really doesn’t transfer to inspection work so readily…

3 Likes

Were you a skimmer? Sorry couldn’t help myself… I learned a lot about doing things correctly in the right order… etc. pride in my work and yes a lot of system knowledge that helped me be ahead of the game when I became an inspector. (SK2/SS)

Now see, that’s what assumptions get you. No, I wore dolphins too. And I wasn’t a store creature, but as RPPO in the mid 80s, I spent a lot of time working with them coming out of refueling overhaul to inspect and inventory E-Div repair parts going back to supply lockers on the boat.

EMC(SS)

Think He was talking to me Jim and He was right ,tin can sailor ,MM3 DE1085… You deep water nuke guys were a whole different animal…not a job i would have signed up for…

Got it. But…

That part really isn’t that much different from my experience. The numbers were a little different but I can’t list them–Hope you understand that. As an EM I operated and maintained the generator end of turbine generators and the generator end of the diesel generator and many other motors and generators. But as a supervisor I was right next to your counterparts while they warmed up and started up the turbines.

Hey cool! What boats were you on?

TECUMSEH, BENJAMIN FRANKLIN (both are razor blades now) and LA JOLLA (now a Moored Training Ship at the nuclear power training complex at the old weapons station in Charleston, SC)

1 Like

those were 3 seriously Bad Ass boats !