Do we both have to pay the "Membership Fee"?

Originally Posted By: Tricia Grossnickle
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have a couple of questions.

First: Since my husband and I are both going into the Inspection Field as partners (him exterior, crawl spaces, roofs, attics..etc. the icky stuff. Me the marketing and interior things) do we have to pay double the membership fee?

I took the test today and passed yippee ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) ! I completed everything needed to qualify....but, the 100 inspections...since we just started the process of getting the business set up. My husband will be taking the test tomorrow so does he have to pay for "joining fees" as well?

Second: I have the impression that most of this market sees this as a "man's field"! How do you think most clients would feel about a women showing up on the site, helping with the inspection?

Thanks for any input!

Tricia

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Tricia,

Email the NACHI Development Director, Dave Bush, with your specific enrollment questions.

membership@nachi.org

The Home Inspection Industry does seem to be top heavy with men. However, there are several highly skilled women who post on this board. Lisa Williams and Carla Horne come to mind immediately. Search the board for these two names. I'm positive that they will answer any questions that you may have.

Good Luck to the both of you.

Originally Posted By: rcooke

My wife and I have been doing inspections as a team for over 4 years and it works well for us . If I can be of any help please do not hesitate to ask Roy Cooke sr Brighton ont Canada .

Rcooke@canada.com

Originally Posted By: Don

Tricia, why would you have to worry about 100 inspections? Take the test and send in your money. I will be joining the ranks of the NACHI proud certified inspectors soon too. Best deal around. Those other orgs want to much money and paperwork.

Don Warnig

Advanced NY Inspections

Originally Posted By: Tricia Grossnickle

Hi Don,

This is what it says on the website:

Full Membership Requirements:
You must have performed or participated in more than 100 home inspections.

However, I do understand that they don't "black mark" you like other org. I am just not sure what the difference is between the "Full Membership" and the "Membership".

Sorry not much help just what I read.

Tricia

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Quote:
Tricia, why would you have to worry about 100 inspections?

I didn't recall that either, but there it is as #1 on the list for full membership requirements.....hmmm....I'm not a full member yet. ![icon_sad.gif](upload://nMBtKsE7kuDHGvTX96IWpBt1rTb.gif)

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: Guest

Yeah Tricia,

Those are the requirements, but nowhere is there any differential to be seen on the website and there is no real physical address for NACHI.. it's all cyber. NACHI is an association with no class distinction what so ever. Zero inspections to a gazillion inspections they're all "certified" and all equal.

As soon as you send your check, you're "certified' ..after you pass those demanding requirements like that test you took and the grueling "ethics obstacle course"

Better have a lunch and some water ready, because once you sit down for the "course" you'll be there at least 10 or 12 minutes; the pay off is once you're around those ethics obstacles, you're set to join.

After that though, you can advertise that you're a "certified" inspector. Except for Arizona where the state does the certification and the state takes offense at NACHI members using the word "certified" when it means NACHI certified.

You may be able to get in w/o paying dues at all because you and your husband will put two names on the roster which is valuable to inflate the membership numbers. Work em like a sore rib

BTW, your husband has the good parts of the inspection...you get the under sink, behind the toilet, teen agers bedroom parts. I'll take a crawl any day.

Chad, if NACHI is so bad, why are you here? I don’t think I’d spend much time in a place I didn’t like or respect. Either that or you have lots of time to kill.

Originally Posted By: lwilliams

Well said Kevin, Chad either has nothing better to do than bash NACHI or he is actually gaining value from the site and can’t admit it. Which is it Chad? As for women inspectors on the inspection, in my experience (my husband and I worked together on most of our inspections) often the attending client is a woman and the feedback I got was we made her feel comfortable. Men and woman view most things differently which works to be an advantage in the inspection industry. Just don’t tell all the single male inspectors, they will all want to hire a woman too! icon_lol.gif

Tricia, did you and your husband buy a franchise? HomeTeam? What you will find here on NACHI is the org. is flexible and accommodating for unique situations which Chad is misinterpretating as inferior. Tell me who would you find more attractive? A group that is welcoming? or one that is restricting? Tricia, feel free to contact me if you need support or more info.

“Obstacles are what you see when you lose sight of the goal”

—Chief Garry Feschuck

SIB - Sechelt

Kevin,

The statements I made are true. If I'm mistaken, please point out the errors and I'll bone up on my research.

Even you didn't know about the different levels and the requirements for each.

NACHI has everything to do with me. I'm a home inspector and NACHI's proclivity for passing out the moniker "certified" affects the public perception of our entire profession. I have a right to be incensed.

I like NACHI to me and what I see they have done more for the inspectors then any other organization .

It is so obvious Chad also really likes us as he spends a lot of time and effort looking at all the messages .

Please realize Chad will some day understand what we already know. When he sees how happy we are it just might rub of on him .

I do not know if he belongs to any organization and only hangs around us to see what he can learn.

My feeling he keeps making posts to show he really does like us and our ideas.

Welcome Chad I look forward to seeing you at one of our meetings as you know how happy we are with the continue mailing from us . Come on up soon while your Dollar is so much higher then ours .

Roy Cooke sr Brighton ont Canada.

Really? and what makes you better than anyone else here? Because you say so? Are you upset that people ponied up $289 passed a test and call themselves certified? Guess what? In my state they issue a certification for passing the NHIE and paying $55, which means everyone is state certified. Anyone can pass our state test with a little studying and background. Pony up the money and call yourself certified, because I think that is the only thing you are really pissed about.

I’m state certified and NACHI certified. So the hell what? It’s a word. It’s marketing. Why you think it’s bad is beyond me. Maybe you feel the word really needs to mean something? It does. It means I’m NACHI certified. If customers want to know what that means they can ask me or look it up themselves on the NACHI site.

Originally Posted By: psmothers

Chad with every post I read from you both over hear and at INSPECTIONNEWS.com I loose more and more respect for you. Personally I find it very hard to dislike someone but my friend you are sure making it easy. I am sure that I speak for a lot of people here when I say we have had enough. If you put half the time in to your business, be it though marketing or further education for yourself, that you do into bashing us you would not have had that extra time to restore that tractor. I find it hard to belive that someone with your knowledge of the home inspection field you have and craftsmanship ability that showed by that tractor could be so dang petty and do the things you do.

Heck, what do I know?? I am just some guy who paid NACHI so I could be "certified." I am just some "amateur" who post over here on the "amateur board."

Wait a minute, that is what your views of us are. Let me say that correctly.

Heck, what do I know?? I am just someone who has gone through state certification and been in the building field for over 10 years. I am just some guy who values and respects (2 words you need to look up the meaning of) the views of his fellow NACHI MEMBERS. I am just some guy who has read enough of you negativity to be fed up!

--
Foxe Smothers

"Its not a matter of will we rebuilt it is matter of how soon..."

"A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Roy’s right. I do like many of the members and have a genuine respect for their integrity and their abilities. I also read and enjoy the emails I get from the Kingston Chapter. The Canadians on this board have never lacked professionalism or spirit.

Kevin, My post that's got you upset is pretty factual, it may be understated to a degree, but the essence is correct. If NACHI churns out certified inspectors as fast as they cash the dues checks it's not good for the profession. That's my opinion and in my mind it's simply inarguable.

There will be some outstanding inspectors that come up through the ranks, but there will also be plenty of woefully underequipped inspectors that'll never make the hundred mark, but while they try they'll be certified.

It is just a word; I agree. It is just a marketing ploy; I agree. The potential of the word to be meaningful and something to be proud of, exists. The fact is that the standards presently in place to be qualified to use the word have diluted to the level of other key marketing words like "amazing" "incredible" "lowest price" etc. Those words and phrases mean nothing. Neither does "certified" .. but it could.

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Don wrote:
Tricia, why would you have to worry about 100 inspections? Take the test and send in your money. I will be joining the ranks of the NACHI proud certified inspectors soon too. Best deal around. Those other orgs want to much money and paperwork.

Don:

Tricia is correct.
"
Full Membership Requirements:
You must have performed or participated in more than 100 home inspections. "

Info regarding "Working Member" & "Full Member is contained here: http://nachi.org/membership.htm

Signed affidavits attesting to the fulfillment of Membership requirements are maintained on file. Review of supporting documentation may be requested by NACHI staff as this has been past practice.

http://nachi.org/documents/application.htm

Your posted intentions would lead me to request full supporting documentation prior to accepting your Member Application.

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: bhendry

Hey Chad,

Something to think about...

If one was looking for a person to help/assign/hire for the variety of HI related prospects such as consultant, instructor, partner, officer, expert (expert witness), mentor, focus group member, equipment designer, software designer, call center designer, etc. do you think you would be a candidate given your contrary postings here?

Regards,

Bill

![](upload://6W2YnX4wTESErcMziSzPMju9jcW.gif)

Originally Posted By: dbush

Chad, I usually just let your posts roll off, but enough is enough. We know that in your opinion NACHI will never amount to anything, although you do say we have a couple of good members. We know your opinion, and frankly don’t really give a damn what it is. I am tired of reading it, tired of hearing it, and frankly wish you would just go away.

As membership director, this is difficult to say, but I really desire that you NOT join NACHI because I would hate to think that, in your opinion, that you had to lower yourself to the level of what us easily certified, internet only home inspection organization consists of. Yes I passed the NACHI exam when I joined and became certified through NACHI, and you know what, I did not find it difficult, nor did I find it to be anything besides a beginning entrance exam. We know you don't like our exam, and frankly, again I don't give a damn.

Would you, if I ask nicely, please just disappear?

This post has been edited by me to say things that were nicer than what I was truly thinking.

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Lighten up members, Chad is like the cat playing with a mouse . You are playing into his game .Ignore him if it bothers you, pass over his posts or enjoy. You are giving him what he wants an audience. If no one plays his game then you will be destroying his enjoyment. This is a mind game the way I see it and he is winning.

Ignore him and you will destroy his fun, that’s the way I see it .

Roy Cooke sr Brighton ont Canada.

Originally Posted By: dbush

Roy, I usually do ignore them, but I guess this evening I just felt a need to vent over his bs.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Dave,

For the record you're one of the folks in management that I respect. Please tell me which posts are BS and I'll refrain from those areas in future posts.