Do you call out Negative slope of the tub ledge?

I had a discussion about that with a fellow inspector and I sorta agree that in most cases is pointless to struggle creating properly leveled bathtub ledge, except if there is a drain on the floor.

What are you seeking level on?

The level of the tiles, surrounding the bathtub. Is there point to slope them outward, since there is not drain on the bathroom floor?

Language barrier. I believe he is referring to the TUB!

1 Like

I stand corrected.

Thanks

Wouldn’t it be logical to have it run off as oppose to puddling there?

Again - no floor drain, so it will be pudding somewhere.

that certainly would not be in my report…

4 Likes

It would not be in my report either.

1 Like

Better not use that little torpedo level anywhere else in that house. You will have an abundance of questions

3 Likes

Bathroom floors get wet everyday.
However, It would not be in my report.

2 Likes

:rofl: :sweat_smile:

I can see an overflow on the tub waste assembly. Slope the tile away from the tub? What would be the purpose? “KISS”. Know what that means?

1 Like

I’ve been participating in dozens (or maybe hundreds) of online discussion groups, but the 2 inspector’s forums are somehow exceptional about the way someone is treated, when asking question. Understandable, but not admirable.

Aniway, thanks for the answers. Good advices.

Residential houses are built with materials that aren’t perfectly straight and move with age. You have to be reasonable about slopes. When using a short level you will find many surfaces out of level or improperly sloped. These houses will stand test of time and be just fine. There are a few areas where you want to have proper slope so water does not collect. Around a tub, the edges, ideally, should slope inward but that is not always the case and is usually not a big deal. In your example, the tile on the outside of the tub is not an issue whatsoever.

2 Likes

Agree. Thank you.

Good question, Emil.
The direction of the bath tub rim and surround can have various consequences if the contractor did not pay attention to sealing the surfaces properly, and how many do?

Having had Emil on several inspection, everything that abuts a bath tub or shower requires caulking/sealing and is at play during my inspections.
Same goes for the slope for open shower floors.
I use a digital level. More accurate while reading. Increments of 1/8th is not that accurate.

The idea is to ‘direct water’ in a posative direction to avoid pooling were surfaces meet and abut one another. I have had several water intrusion inspections were the bath tub surround was to blame.

Good question, Emil.

1 Like

Lets take this further. How many here think the rim of a bath tub rim should direct water back to the tub?

Its a no brainer. I measure the angle of slope.

In the OP’s image, the closed side for the tub does not have a lower tiled surface, a channel that abuts the wall like many do. That channel is perfect to entrap bulk water, even from condensate. Slope has to be provided to direct water to the open side of the tub or a drain-way. Can not think of the right term. It will come to me.
As well, abut angles require ‘caulking/sealing/flashing.’ Those are not tubs with 3 flanges to accept tiles or water proof substrate like blue board.

1 Like

The lip of the tub is raised well above the tile (shown in the second photo you posted), so sloping back towards the tub would not work anyway. I’ve seen it done that way, and water will collect against the tub when the caulking is intact, and cause areas of mildew/mold. If the caulking is not intact, the water will go UNDER the tub.

I’m trying to understand how much water are we concerning ourselves with here? There is a tub waste overflow that goes to a 1-1/2” drain or larger. Are we concerned with the occupants of the tub splashing water around? Is it getting out of the tub and a few drops hitting the tub deck? I’d rather have those few drops remain on the tub deck than hit the floor and bust my ass. Some deep thinkers will bring a towel near the tub so that they can dry off before exiting a tub. Not sure where any water of concern is going to come from.

1 Like