Fl NACHI - What have you done for me lately?

Hey Russell, do you have an Illinois chapter??:stuck_out_tongue:

That is a bunch of $$. Any licensed HI in the State of Florida should be able to become a member period. Why pay $100.00 for a test? To prove that I am qualify to be a HI. Big deal. Why not make more difficult: How about a BS in Engineering? You guys are nuts.

Do yo want to be a member op FLPHNACHI. You must practice your HI business in the Panhandle of Florida and have $1.50 for membership.

EASY JOHN…My thread was before yours so they have to become RussNACHI and then they can become FLPHNACHI…get people under you maybe we can make this a pyramid scheme…seems to work for others!

If you take the time to think about it… The reality is once the Grandfathering period is over next year, there will be very little reason for any state association to exist. Come July we will all be licensed and valid Home Inspector’s license will become the highest credential a home inspector in Florida can hold.

Joseph if it was here BEFORE licensing it will be here after. But my concern is that when SOP’s are written and education requirements are needed that organizations will only worry about their numbers of inspectors and NOT the inspector needs and wants. Hell, no one has asked so far!

So now I am sure there are SOP’s out there stating that YOU ARE REQUIRED to get something they have, to preserve the species (the organization). That is exactly what I am afraid of. Nothing that REQUIREMENTS will be made, but who decided them, who fights for them, what are they, have can we have a voice. I think its much easier to get the RIGHT law into effect rather than changing a law that needs work. Lets get it right the FIRST time and do whats right for the INSPECTOR. For those who’s income is based on NUMBER of inspectors, their motive is in question. Their motive would be to GROW the number of inspectors by any means necessary. I would much rather have the RIGHT people in the RIGHT places rather then 1000 of the wrong people representing my organization.

The lack of response means either those did not read any of the posts, do not care, or see no validity in the statements, or see much validity and have no answers. I asked question after question and no response from anyone. I guess keeping us in the dark is the best means to get what THEY want.

Case and point does ANYONE know what Nick and Governor Crist talked about? Was it just a meet and greet. I saw pictures but nothing about what went on. Why? or why not? Maybe I missed the thread.

You are not privy to that info. You are just a paying member of the organization.

I am seeing that more and more…

A non-profit organization. :wink:

Russell asks:

A very obscure technical reason Russell. I really didn’t publicize the main purpose of Florida InterNACHI enough (my bad), so your question is very valid and you are very correct in inquiring. Here is the answer:

Because the DBPR rules for grandfathering REQUIRE that one belong to a national or state association that uses a proctored exam. If you could get into Florida InterNACHI without taking the exam, Florida InterNACHI would cease to be qualified for grandfathering of its members.

InterNACHI is very member driven: No member is required to join a chapter and all members are free to form their own chapter: www.nachi.org/form.htm

I understand why you have to have a proctored exam. What I don’t understand is why the list of alternative tests doesn’t include any of the proctored exams that were available to Florida inspectors before you offered a proctored exam. I highly doubt that any Florida inspectors have taken one of the other tests listed as acceptable. While I bet there are many that have taken at least one proctored exam that was available to us before NACHI offered one.

Because the DBPR rules for grandfathering REQUIRE that one belong to a national or state association that uses a proctored exam. If you could get into Florida InterNACHI without taking the exam, Florida InterNACHI would cease to be qualified for grandfathering of its members.

**Exaxtly how is Florida InterNACHI qualified. Because you say so. Is it Chartered? Is it an official association listed witht he State? If so, where can we find the documentation?

Nick:
So, that means that when the BS of grandfathering is all over in July 2011 all members of InterNACHI in Florida should be able to become members of FLInterNACHI just by asking??? No more a $100.00 membership fee. Oh, now I get it…, Is that correct??

Just to clarify: It should be March 2011 as that is the date that grandfathering ends.

I believe all of this will sort itself out after grandfathering ends too.

According to this link it is a chapter of InterNACHI.

http://www.floridainternachi.org/

Joe - THis is exactly the stuff I talk about. What is sorting itself out? Those “entities” will then decide what WE do? I kinda thought an organization was kinda, by the people, for the people…Guess I am wrong.

Why would one have its own chapter? So we can promote something and work hard on something that will have validation? Nick, my purpose for the two day Florida get together was to find ways to promote NACHI and try and get some way to influence the upcoming SOP and other legislation. Now that I see you could care less about the quality of a inspector and are only interested in pure numbers to you own admission.

You are now having organization within organizations. And although your member numbers are impressive they way you get them is not so impressive. Being member driven I question the validity of your purpose representing ME in the upcoming legislation. Your own words state you are member driven and your cheapening our “proctored test” so that any Tom, Dick or Harry can pass proves you could care less about the caliber of person you are recruiting.

I just thought I was a member of an ORGANIZATION and not a DICTATORSHIP…Just shows your not to old to learn.

Lets be honest here.

Zoe took her Riverview chapter and renamed it FloridaNachi. Then she made a sweet deal with Nick to provide the proctoring. This deal is a disservice to all home inspectors in Florida that belong to NACHI. These funds could have been used to help start a true Florida Association and promote the association for the benefit of its members (which was tried a few years ago). The FloridaNachi site lists over 250 members. That means that there has been over $25,000 collected as of today for testing. As of this date we have no idea where the funds have gone. You could have hired a Bell,Ca councilman to proctor the exam and there would still be funds left over.

This chapter only represents all members in Florida in name only. The board of directors is made up of inspectors from the Tampa area. A true FloridaNachi would have representation from throughout the state.

This chapter has no authority to do anything besides offer a proctored exam.

There will be no need for this chapter after 3-11.

We have tried twice to have a true state association and both times the powers that be would not let us do what we needed to do for Florida.

I have heard many here say that we need to speak as a majority. How can we do that when we have separate chapters starting and doing what ever the person that started them wants to do?

It seems to me that this strategy splits our ranks more than unites us.

WELL SAID GREG! Its not going to change as long as you are strictly member driven. Like saying you are going to do 50 home inspections in a day. You could careless how they are done, just so they get done.

So after all is said and done, And there have been some very valid points here thanks to Russells tenacity, What do we want to do about it? Floridainternachi served its purpose as Greg stated to qualify us for the grandfathered license by offering the proctored exam. Great it worked for me, it was worth the hundred bucks, I am sure that there would have been other ways to get it done but in the end they did a great job in organizing and implementing it.
I dont consider my hundred bucks as an application fee to the chapter, it was a fee for the test.
so at this point lets figure out what it is that we want to accomplish and make it happen.
How bout we start a list of questions or quandaries that we can bring to the table for the meeting we have scheduled next week. Where do we want to go, how are we going to get there!
as greg said florida internachi was just a local chapter renamed. Great, do we need a statewide chapter to represent our interests? or should we focus on making sure area chapters are formed and have those chapters meet centrally to represent OUR Florida needs to NACHI?
Lets spend the time to prepare for this upcoming meeting, There are a LOT of intelligent people in our circle, lets put them to use for our benefit.

We have established that there are flaws in our “system” Great, Identify them find a solution and move on to business that will be beneficial to us.

Greg, Rus, Joe,William, John and all you other dudes ROCK, lets put it to good positive use and use this opportunity to push ourselves forward.