Florida DBPR home inspectors

The monthly newsletter from the DBPR has a link to

This is a new page** that provides helpful information and examples about the types of services that must be performed by a DBPR-licensed individual or business**

**What services require a license? **

http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/pro/division/Servicesthatrequirealicense_building.html

Perhaps the DBPR doesn’t know the state doesn’t have the money for the licensing as everyone suggests.

"Needs a License

Perform inspections of the structural, roofing, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical work on a house or building being constructed or renovated, regardless of compensation.
Does not need a License
Inspect a home for real estate transaction purposes, regardless of compensation. (A license will be required on July 1, 2010.)"

Looks like they plan to move forward

What choice do they really have, the bill was passed by both houses and the Governor signed it into law, they are obligated.

Does anybody know what DBPR is doing to get the process going forward? We only have basically one year to get the license. The process is long (education, testing + application and then license). With so many Home Inspectors in Florida it will take sometime to get the process going.
:roll:

Nick: what is your take on the subject?:roll:
Keep it real Nick…

We are ready when they are ready

R/John M. Acaron
www.HOMEINSPECTORUSA.biz

I spoke with the guy in charge with fielding calls concerning Florida Inspector and Mold License. He seemed to know what was happening…but…in his words "yes the law will go into effect July 2010. However, the legislature did not approve funding for the DBPR administration of the law in this past session. DBPR needs funding to hire a board to fill in the particulars of the law. (example - what type of courses will accepted, who will be approved to teach them etc.)
The legislature should approve this funding in its next session. (I assume that means next Spring unless there is a Fall Session.) As soon as DBPR receives funding they will begin hiring staff and forming the actual regulations.
There may be a dedicated DBPR website for this in the near future so check in on DBPR website and e-newsletter.
Also he assured me no one will be out with billyclubs arresting home inspectors in July 2010…(famous last words!!!)

First Poster and Soon to be Member,
ed

There is a fall session, should be interesting to see where they find the money, I expect financial straits will be more dire than they are now.

I’ve said it all along, and still do.
There should be a grandfather clause in this bill. It should be amended. Joe, Is there any way this can be started? I’d take the Bull by the Horns and start something.
How much money and customers are going to be lost while your going to school? How many clients and realtors are going to go to your competition while your in school and not available when they call?
Something to think about.

From what I have heard and understand the Govenor ( Chuck as I refer to him) has seen fit to veto anything including a grandfather clause on this issue. I don’t know why but I suspect it was largely due to the infighting between the organizations at the time these laws were inacted. Good JOB TO ALL YOU POLITICAL MORONS. Had we banded together as a single voice back then this issue could have been avoided. Best advice I can give is to take the contractor course at your local community college and pass the test. If you do that before 7/1/10 at least you will have the 120 hr requirement met (maybe).

What makes a contractor a good home inspector? Must be the knowledge of the codes that they consistently ignore.

:)I really doubt that!

Contractor’s Institute is now offering a home inspector’s class for contractors. It is for continuing education requirements for the contractor’s licensing renewals. I would bet they would be one of the first to come out with a class though. Some of the inspectors here also has a class in the works.

Until they get their act together, what class and who can teach it, I would not count on any class being accepted. It is a state program after all.

In expect the no-grandfathering clause will end up being a good thing for our profession, in any case it will teach those who use licensing bills as a marketing plan to screw their competition that there is always a price to pay.

Everyone should start on an even playing field. There was grandfathering in the bill at one time. Everyone that was in business when the bill took effect was grandfathered.

Then they changed it to those that were in business since 2004. This gives those pushing for the bill an unfair advantage over inspectors that started business after 2004. If there is grandfathering it should be everyone, or no one.

Hopefully they will get the schools lined up soon so we can move on with this without having to wait until the last second. I hope NACHI plays a role in the education and testing requirements.

That would set a precedent, no other trade group or association in Florida handles the education and testing requirements for their profession. It is very unlikely that the DBPR or the state of Florida would allow an unregulated association this power, CEU’s well, yes, maybe, but initial testing not hardly, not even the NAR with all their money gets that perk.

I have never been in favor of licensing but… Legitimacy comes through third-party certification. If licensing is what everyone wants then it should be a painful and burdensome as possible, especially to those who promote such nonsense.

Why anyone who would want the Gov. involved in their business does not make sense to me. And to think that licensing will get rid of the bad inspectors does not make sense. There will always be good and bad inspectors with or without licensing. Most of the trades people whos work we inspect are licensed. If licensing solved poor workmanship, we would not have a job as inspectors.

I am excited to take the 120 hour class and test. I just wish they would get it scheduled soon. Licensing likely back-fired on many who pushed it, now that the grandfather clause has been removed :slight_smile:

Uh, engineers? As in board of engineers.

Well, I guess if home inspectors had a degree from an accredited university we might get that break too.

examples:
“Council of Engineering and Scientific Specialty Boards (CESB) has established a national reputation for accrediting certification programs in engineering and science-related fields. CESB-accredited programs that you may recognize include the Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) and Certified Hazardous Materials Manager (CHMM) and the American Indoor air Quality Council’s CIE, CMR, CMRS, CIAQM, CMI and CRMI programs were all fully accredited by CESB at engineering-technician level effective January 1, 2007.”

We pay several thousand for insurance and compete with companies who carry little or no insurance, have to do alot of jobs to cover the 9 grand for insurance; new law should eliminate some of the low ball prices if nothing else.
I would like to see the license cost several thousand dollars, get rid of the bottom feeders.

So you want the government to weed out your field. :twisted:

Someday, you may be the weed. :wink:

Make the license as hard as possible to get, best way to protect the inspector and the client, just my view.
Got my first Social Security check today, guess I only get a profit check from the inspection business from now on.

We are NOT code inspectors