Health Insurance- Group Plan

If a Group Health Plan was available, would you be interested?

Quite possibly. If it turned out to be better and cheaper than what we have. It would have to cover my whole family. me,wife and daughter.

That is the goal. Affordable, Comprehensive Group coverage for inspectors and their families.

Sounds great.

Of course --YES

I love it when people use the word COMPREHENSIVE…just has a nice ring to it

Absolutely, I would be interested.

This has been talked about many times through the years. I would love to see it so good luck.

I would be interested

A valiant goal indeed. I spent several months looking into this with three different providers when I first became NACHI President back in 2005. The issue is not whether the plan is available, it is the size of the group and the logistics involved in our association. A large percentage of the association would need to enroll to get any sort of a discount, and the discount was miminal over what any individual can acquire on their own. With a group as large as INACHI (at that time approx. 3000 members) all three companies were looking to have a minimum of 60% enrollment for a group rate. The difficulty there is that we could not guarantee any sort of enrollment rate, and we don’t have a position of plan administrator in INACHI, which is a tedious job indeed.

What most people don’t realize is that the coverage is basically the same, and the price very close to the same as an individual policy. The difference is that it is easier to qualify for the policy. Many are under the false impression that a group policy is much cheaper because they equate it to what they were paying when they had an employer paid group policy, and they only saw a portion of the premium deducted from their check each week or month.

With the incoming Obamacare, companies are trying to dump policyholders, and premiums are rising quickly. I can only surmise that the requirements will be more stringent for a policy, but hey, check it out and good luck!

Yes…lemme know!

I’,m for anything that is comphrehensive!

That would be awesome, that for sure.

Yes, why not? put aside the pessimists and try, if it does not work… that’s ok we move forward

Exactly —

Since my post is the only one that isn’t a yes I want insurance post, I’ll take it that your directing your comment at me. I’m not a pessimist, I’m stating what has been tried already so that whoever wishes to spend a few months working on it knows what they are getting into. If they are able to put something together and get Nick to hire a full time benefits administratior, great!

Anything worth having is worth fighting for. If at first you dont succeed try and try again, “Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working.
Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul.
Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan “press on” has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race

You get the idea dont you

I really do not have a dog in this hunt, but everyone does realize that membership organizations/associations can not offer insurance to their members until our leaders in Washington DC make changes in the law and allow it to happen. Similar to being able to purchase insurance across state lines.

What you can get (as well as anyone else) is an endorsed provider that offers individual coverage under that endorsement. If you have pre-existing conditions you will be treated just like you would be on an individual policy and not as you would be under a true “group” policy.

If you need coverage and you really have no major medical conditions you will do just as good in getting an individual policy. Try Blue Cross or United Health (Golden Rule) they both offer fairly good coverage with many different plans.

Thank you Scott, you’re exactly correct. We are an assocation, which is different from the coverage unions or corporations are allowed to provide.

Ken, persistence is great and is the best method when something can be achieved. The issue here is, it ain’t available to an association in true group form. You can be persistent and knock on a door all day long, but if no one is home, they won’t answer.

There have been several bills before congress over the last few years that would allow an organization like ours to be classified as a “group” for insurance purposes.

None of them have advanced very far. :frowning: