Mike Homes new show??? four USA??

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2013/08/06/bianco-critics-corner-august-6/2591461/

Robert Bianco, USA TODAY</SPAN>12:03 a.m. EDT August 6, 2013
What’s worth watching, and what might not be, in prime time on Tuesday.

SHARE1CONNECT11TWEET](https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?url=http://usat.ly/1eoHx4s&text=TV%20tonight:%20’NCIS,’%20’Covert%20Affairs’&via=USATODAY)COMMENTEMAILMORE
Holmes Makes It Right**| DIY, 8 ET/5 PT**
Mike Holmes, the star of HGTV’s home inspection series Holmes on Homes, branches out with a series on sister-network DIY built around a subject many homeowners know all too well: repair and renovation disasters. This time, when he discovers shoddy construction shortcuts, fraying wires and plugged pipes, he’ll show the homeowners how to fix them – while telling them what they should do the next time they decide to renovate their homes. Odds are the lesson many of us will come away with is “Don’t do it yourself,” though doubtlessly that’s not what DIY has in mind.

Four USA at top can not change to for USA

Another example of Mike laughing all the way to the (now even bigger) bank!
G

In regards to the DIY projects.
As home inspectors, how many times have we seen contractor projects (furnance installation, plumbing, etc), but done incorrectly. Yesterday, inspected a flip house. The central heat pump/air handler was missing the air filter. Another house the HVAC guy installed the air handler so that the access panel wasn’t accessible without dismantling the PVC condensate line.

Tell some of the “professionals” to find other lines of work, too. At least the DIYers have an excuse. What’s the “professionals” excuse?

Around here (and I’m certain other parts too) that’s the problem. Flippers hire whoever is cheapest (not qualified) to do all the work. These guys may technically be contractors, they pay cheap, unskilled laborers as subcontractors to slap these houses together and folks assume because the flipper is a contractor, everything was done by qualified people. About the only thing typically done well is the paint in many cases. Start poking around just a bit and the amateur work jumps out.

I can’t be the first guy to experience this stuff. I wont be the last guy either.

He’s doing commercials with Allstate insurance… some are REALLY CREEPY !!!

I’m not certain this applies to only “flippers”. I’ve seen similar actions from new home builders here in Canada.

The problem in this case seems to stem from the piece-work nature of the business, and p***-poor building inspectors.

In one home I witness the HVAC guys run the duct-work, then the plumbers doing the piping disconnect the HVAC ducts so they could get their drain pipes in, and then the dry-wallers came in and covered it all up. Meanwhile the building inspector had allegedly been in 3 times to check each trade had performed their job right.

When it came to the PDI, I noticed the duct work to the Register had not been re-connected, and on a subsequent inspection the Builder had “fixed” the issue creating a duct-tape extension.

The house cost $595,000 and the home builder said that if anything else needed doing the home-owners were to rely on Tarion (The Ontario New Home Builders warranty quango) to fix it.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Of course he is in your mind because you have RECALL check on his site. What you fail to see is in the process of his success he has created more trouble then he is worth.
You don’t need to just ask Home Inspectors but anyone that has had dealings with him outside the lime light.
Sure he has brought attention to Home Inspections.
But at what cost?

Guess who shows up in High River, yes it is Mike Holmes. He was on our street shooting footage (he picked the dry end of the street so his shoes would not get muddy). Later he gave a speech about the dangers of mold. The town has not seen or heard from him since.

Unfortunately I think he is a showman out for Mike all then way .

I’d trade places with Mike any day! I actually have been a fan of Mikes since 2004. I still watch old episodes with a cold beer on Apple TV when I have a night off. All you have to do is ignore the junk and enjoy the show! I’m tired of seeing people’s crap work…imagine if I had to fix it…the first season is the best. The show had great trades in doing what they do best. Then the kids started doing the work. Either way, everyone loves to see crappy work right?

Hey, Without it Stephan, we wouldn’t have any work :smiley:

He creates a problem and then makes an attempt to fix it.

Sault College is renovating a construction program name just two years after the course of study’s creation was endorsed by Canada’s Most Trusted Contractor.

A two-year home inspection program, backed by Mike Holmes in early 2011, will be retitled residential construction technician – home inspection in September 2014.

[FONT=arial]428[/FONT]
[FONT=arial][/FONT]
[FONT=arial]The Holmes effect[/FONT]

[FONT=arial]Renovations: Celebrity contractor has done a lot, but says he’s still trying to improve builders’ performance
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial][FONT=arial][FONT=arial]He’s just turned 50 and has built an entire brand around his name, thanks to popular and multiple reality TV series, newspaper columns, books and his visibility on the speakers’ circuit.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]So how does Mike Holmes, the contractor who never brooks second best, view his effect on the building industry? Holmes, who broke into Canadian reality TV in 2001 with Holmes on Homes - a Gemini-award-winning show that tracked him and his crew as they re-did renovations badly done by others - is back in the media spotlight with the launch of the second season of Holmes Makes It Right on HGTV.
Watching people tear into drywall to expose hidden construction flaws sounds like a cure for insomnia. But as always on Holmes’s shows, rapid-action camera work, our natural sympathy for the ripped off, and the host’s plain-talking blend of fury at shoddy work and his get-the-job-done attitude to repairing it make for engaging television fare.
Has such fare, broadcast in several countries, helped discourage bad building practices? “There’s no question,” says Holmes.
“Contractors either say, ‘Oh, I love that guy’ or ‘I hate that S.O.B.’ I’ve even met contractors who hand out copies of my books to clients before signing a contract so the clients know what to look for.”
Holmes, who’s twice been voted the second-most-trusted Canadian in Reader’s Digest polls since 2010, says educating the public about construction quality has been the biggest reward of his TV career over the past dozen years.
To foster improved trades training, he launched the Holmes Foundation. Its work includes scholarships and bursaries for those studying the trades. Saying that 50 per cent of existing tradespeople are due to retire in the next few years, Holmes is optimistic about job prospects. “We need to fix all the crap (a favourite Holmes word when referencing the building industry) that’s been built in the last 50 years.”
That’s “nonsense,” says John Herbert, executive director of the Greater Ottawa Home Builders’ Association, referring to the “crap” comment. “Building construction has become much more scientific, especially since the early 1970s and the first energy crisis. Materials used, trades training: it’s all gotten a lot better.”
Holmes, who says he gets a lot less blowback from the industry than he thought he would, was criticized for his show Holmes Inspection. The show, which played on HGTV in Canada and the United States, ran for three seasons, ending last year. It tackled homes with major problems - overloaded electrical circuits, for example - that had not been identified during home inspections.
The show, according to Holmes’s website (makeitright.ca), was criticized in part because its host, who trained as a carpenter, lacks a background in engineering. Still, the show has spun off both a book (The Holmes Inspection) and an inspection service, Mike Holmes Inspections. Holmes Makes It Right airs Tuesdays at 9 p.m. on HGTV.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

I understand Mike Holmes has managed to gain a seat on the MCS Stakeholders panel.

If that is in fact true, all associations as well as members should be up in arms.

Ditto if there are ‘other’ business entities on the panel, which include franchise companies.

As to MCS it is disheartening to know that they will not release info as to who makes up the stakeholders panel given that the whole process was to be an open and consensus based endeavour.

How can anything be open and above board when its silence is being enforced?

Why shouldn’t inspectors who will possibly face licencing be kept informed of decisions which will ultimately affect their livelihood.

Whats wrong with this picture? Here we have a bunch of bureaucrats running the show going back on what was promised.

Business entities have no business on the panel for very obvious reasons.

Roy I have no problem given Mike Holmes credit when credit is due however I have seen way to many safety violations on his shows. It started out with sneakers and now has advanced into full gear of hard hats, gloves and all the safety gear possible. This really bugged me as I watched this show. What has bugged me the most about the new show is his attempt to gloss over safety openly on TV when doing new projects.
So I ask myself… If he indeed does have all the power to MAKE IT RIGHT why is it still a problem?:shock:

We are talking to our selves the public loves him .
Same thing years ago with Perry Mason Lots of errors but the public loved it .

If you follow his shows Make a note of his errors and save them.

I already have a list that I share with my Clients.
I then tell them to watch themselves and look to see what I have said is actually true.
With the new advent we have we can tape and edit it for the good of the public right. LOL

Interesting that Mike has a “Big Bank” and the Inspectors that “know everything” and pick the show apart “Don’t” because they are too busy fighting each other for work!

Hell, you can’t even be a “Red Neck” on TV and do it right (Duck Dynasty).
But they have more cash than you will ever see in this job.

It’s all about the “Show” folks!

I love Duck Dynasty David, but you must agree that anyone can become an instant success on TV.
That is not the problem but more to the point what is not seen by the Public.
He still has created more troubles by changing the expectations of what a Home Inspector should be doing without support of the Home Inspector Associations.
Also in regard to Contractors. I agree that you should not build to minimum codes however he goes way beyond in some areas and not far enough in others.
So my point is this.
What if Home Owners follow the advice given by his crew and causes them injury? or What they do for the Home Owners does not involve proper Code practice and causes an injury?
I really can’t see him attacking Home Inspectors in any way shape or form unless his ability to see the things wrong and truly can MAKE IT RIGHT!!!
I know some people will not like my opinions, but I tell it like it is, that includes the perspective of how much all the new added features he has put into the home at the end of the program.
Some of it is almost as much as the house cost’s in the first place and not something any Contractor could ever do.