Maybe all the Canadian associations should meet.

Here is what we should do in order:

1. Make a list of all Canadian associations.
  2. Pick a date and place.
  3. Get confirmations that a rep from each association will attend.
  4. Decide on the agenda.

I need help with #1. Does anyone know who all the associations are? Is CAHPI an association of inspectors or an association of associations?

Are we talking of only the National Associations (Internachi, Cannachi, Cahpi) and the union? Or are we talking of the additional 15 or 20 Ontario associations. Will this represent all Canadian Inspectors or just the ones in Ontario? What about the independants that do not belong to an association? Should they also not be represented?
Just a few questions and curious.

Great now we have questions and Ideas coming out .
This is a start .
Lets keep it active
I think we need to try and have ALL Independants All Associations .
a Chance to find out about this idea.
Be nice if it posted on all forums and sent out by those who read it to their friends.

BTW: I support the national concept as a start, however, there’s also PHPIC and another association out of Quebec - National Building Inspectors and Experts Association.

Who will represent the non-aligned? So if you get down to the non-aligned represented, are you not getting down to individual representation? Just food for thought!

Overall, I think it’s a great idea. But, respectfully, this was tried before.

There will always be some left out. You will always have the Johnnie come lately showing up and say “we” were not consulted.

I’m not putting the idea down, I’m stating the obvious, that was already used to slam those that already tried that in 1996. Yes, a lot has changed in that brief 14 years. Way too much fracturing in the home inspection industry.

Any get together should include the federal departments such as Human Resources, CMHC, Construction Sector Council.

Also a rep from the provincial government(s) after all at the end of the day it will be the provincial bodies regulating inspectors, and not the feds.

We do not need reps from the Realestate fraternity, nor the BBB.

Good luck trying to get Oahi to the table there is no way that would happen they have made that abundantly clear on numerous occasions.

Just to be on record; Without the adoption of a **REAL **grandfathering programme, the acceptance of the much feared ‘newbees’ as fellow inspectors and the shedding of all connections between Associations and their Inspector schools ( including those owned by board members and operated by principals of the association) by the other associations on the agenda, the ALLIANCE of CANADIAN HOME INSPECTORS would, due to other negotiations, be unable to attend except to monitor the meeting.

Why would some other negotiation prevent ACHI’s participation? I don’t get it. Can you explain?

Without a commitment to adopt a **REAL **grandfathering programme, the acceptance of the much feared ‘newbees’ as fellow inspectors and the shedding of all connections between Associations and their Inspector schools ( including those owned by board members and operated by principals of the association) by the other associations any agreement or negotiation would be at odds with the intentions of the ALLIANCE and would compromise agreements already made with other parties. However, we would be happy to send a representative to audit such a meeting should it occur.

Maybe its just me but this seems to be getting a little confusing. When this union thing was startingup, it was stressed that involvement of inspectors could only make it better for all in this alliance. Now, it appears that it has as many secrets as any other association as has been demonstrated in the past. What now makes this union different?
It also seems like this has become some sort of savior for inspectors in Canada. Why does this union feel it has to come to meeting as was suggested by Nick to AUDIT. Would they not want to participate in a better inspection program?
Don’t know but it doesn’t feel right to me. But, they are always welcome to belong to Internachi.
Just my opinion.

CAHPI an association of inspectors or an association of associations?
I well also ask why are they so closely tired to the mortgaging body of banking? No arms length there.
I could be wrong but I see it that way.
Good observation Nick.

Nick:

CAHPI is an umbrella organization for the provincial associations like OAHI.
So yes it is an association of associations.

Cheers

Nick:

Check out the “Do you know of any …” thread. That’s what I was referring to.

Cheers

**Maybe its just me but this seems to be getting a little confusing. When this union thing was startingup, it was stressed that involvement of inspectors could only make it better for all in this alliance. Now, it appears that it has as many secrets as any other association as has been demonstrated in the past. **

What ‘union’?

What now makes this union different?

What ‘union’?

**It also seems like this has become some sort of savior for inspectors in Canada. **

Who are you talking about?

**Why does this union feel it has to come to meeting as was suggested by Nick to AUDIT. Would they not want to participate in a better inspection program? **

Not speaking for this mythical ‘union’ but how can you claim that a 'better inspection programme will be the result of any meeting before it happens, and why aren’t you asking the same of the other associations who haven’t bothered to comment on this meeting at all? (Your colours are showing Allan ;-))

Don’t know but it doesn’t feel right to me. But, they are always welcome to belong to Internachi.

Just my opinion.

Further to the proposed meeting, I would like to point out that the ALLIANCE of CANADIAN HOME INSPECTORS is the only Canadian association to commit to attending this meeting.

All we have had from one other association is bluster and invective.

Also ACHI does not have any conflicts of interest at the management level or in other areas.

I will give you credit, ACHI has thus far been the only one to comment. Really looking for clarification on some issues. Straight answers are always nice.

It’s probably too small! How many members, Raymond?

What is small got to do with it .
I know of some extremely small associations that have gone on for a long time and doing great helping the industry,
The might oak starts from a small acorn.
Look at the size of NACHI biggest Home Inspector association there is in about ten years .
Look at OAHI 20 years an stagnated with less members in Canada then NACHI

Its not about numbers anymore Brian.

Its about what an association is able to do with the resources at its disposal.

We know that any licencing scheme will look the merits of qualifying inspectors, not how many inspectors an association necessarily has.

Oh and to further illustrate the conflicts that persist on governance, its worthy to note that there was a blood bath in BCASETT/BCIPI.

You can read about it here.

http://communities.canada.com/vancouversun/blogs/soundoff/archive/2010/01/09/611207.aspx

Make it cheap and easy to get in and soon every person that ever worked on a construction site (even sweeping up) will want to be a home inspector. Reduce the price of booze substantially at one liquor store and see how many people will rush to that location. Hell, even your buddy George called this place a diploma mill!!

“Brothers helping Brothers compete against Brothers” or as a very sucessfull HI changed my line on another thread and said: “Brothers helping Brothers screw Brothers”

The more that come and fail, the more Nick likes it! More newbies have to start at the beginning and will spend more $$$$ than the established HI’s…that’s the scheme of things here!