Mike Holmes is an Idiot....

Thanks Jeff, your making me blush. Just geting older and being replaced by younguns’ that no it all. No big deal, but Roys post was dead on. ;):slight_smile:

I am.

He is a gorilla with a sledge hammer. He is NOT a home inspector…he just plays one on television.

Anyone with a Readers Digest Home Repair Book can run around knocking down walls and finding things wrong with someone else’s work and I don’t fault the guy for being able to make a living out of fooling people into thinking he is a contracting genius.

I fault the mental midget for actually thinking (and trying to convince others) that a home inspector should be caving in walls, ripping up carpeting, pulling off crown molding, and otherwise destroying a piece of property in the process of inspecting it.

Take away his sledge hammer and give him a clipboard, a pen, and a flashlight and let him inspect a building, first — then be followed by Roy Cooke…and you’ll see how little he can actually detect.

He’s a fugging idiot.

Actors make a lot of money Jim, and the bottom line to an Actor is portraying someone they are not and convincing the public that they are superior in the role they are playing. In this case a Home Inspector.
Hell, if I had a cast of professionals like he does and an unlimited budget to take things apart like he does to find something wrong, I would be a Super Home Inspector too.

Just notice that nothing is found wrong until the sledge hammer exposes it.
Inspections are based on observations, not demolition.
He is only as good as his teacher, do we see him or her anywhere?
For someone to excel in performance of any trade, a baseline is needed, that is usually the teacher in the learning curve of whatever you do.
Once you have excelled that performance above and beyond that baseline, it is now time to compare your skills with other professionals.
Until that point, you are just another apprentice in the trade.

At 13 years old, I was an expert at taking things apart and learning why things were wrong. The problem I had was putting it back together. :mrgreen:

That is when the teacher comes in.

When I was 19, as a Union Carpenter in Florida, a nice man showed me how to drive a wood stake in the ground without splitting it.
I will never forget it and never again seen someone use that technique.

Nicest guy in the world. I thought he was old which he was probably in his 40’s. ha. ha.
The guy was black, and I enjoyed learning from the man. School of hard Knox he was.

Moral here, everything in this world might not be all as it may appear. Do not be fooled by what you see on a TV show, they are there to make a profit and really don’t care what you think, as long as the sponsors are making a profit also.

Keep on watching the show, I like to dream too! But when I wake up, reality strikes back.

:):smiley:

Thanks James that would just make my day .
Many others have challenged him and they get ignored .
Those who post on his Forum with good information get removed they do not want any posts that show Mr Homes errors.

Thats great.Love the Doctor pun.Had it used all my life.If you knew my full name you would have 3 known actors and band leaders to mention.THE SHOW( its for the fans)
I its for the fans.He has to have some qualifications to be doing what he does and be recognized by whom ever started the show.I watched this old house when it was in its infancy and also saw mistakes but to condone them’‘why’’.
I am pointing out the fact that he saw what others ( 6 ) professionals in our trade or specialized field did not see.They had ample opportunity to view everything including mold,holes in fire place ,extra wiring,everything that should sound off bells and whistles.
I am guessing he is a contractor.Again why would they bring him on board.They would be challenged by others and opening them selves to liable,would they not?
I know and see many INACHI members are contractors, tradesmen, real-estate agents, brokers.I also know I have a lot to learn.Lots and lots and lots.Did I mention Lots…I know I have to view things in another prospective as a residential building inspector.I have lots to learn and then some and more and more and more.
That being said ,I will not knock a man down for not knowing him and his abilities and not knowing the full intent of the show.We are looking as residential building inspectors,not code violations,unless you have the certificate and when you see a violation of anything thing, how do you know its not OK for that province or has not been fixed because the show is only (x) minutes long and they can only squeeze in so much into that30 or 60 minutes.
I do not watch the show but laugh or be sacastic at his work and knowadge.WHY.

Gee he talks all the time about minimum code I have taken a few code courses and have yet to figure out what is minimum code .
When a person brags about how great they are and they are far from great then I see nothing wrong with centering them out and I think even with directions being shouted in his ear Mr. homes still makes mistakes .
To remove posts on his errors shows just how insecure he is .

No doubt, there are hours of film that never make the airwaves of “oopses” and “oh darns” as the Mighty Thor knocks out a piece of the building to find nothing there of consequence…and he has to fix. It’s only the “discoveries” that make it to air.

Mike Holmes is an idiot.

OK guys I hate him to.
Just for piece.

Wrong thing to do .
If you like Mr. Homes then just sit quiet and see if you can figure out why many disagree with him.
He has little support from those who have done inspections for years .
We (I) Tend to see through his Grander .
It has been reported many times he has no trade and many on this Forum are like you a tradesman.
Me 55 years in International Brotherhood Of Electrical workers.

I was only kidding Cooke.Really.I stated my position and I stick by it.I do not know the man nor his background nor his ‘‘field or expertize’’. I can not judge. I see others have.Seen allot worse than him in the field.
Definition of a farmer.’‘A man ‘‘out standing’’ in his field.’’
I was making a ha ha.
Thanks Mr.Cooke.Always like hearing from you.God bless.

Robert,
The bottom line issue is what he **portrays **to the **innocent public. **You, me, others in the industry understand it’s a tv show. The problem being that the majority of the people watching his shows **do not know any better! **The network it shows on (HGTV) lends credibility to what he says and does as fact.

Maybe the next time you watch one of his shows, forget you know anything about the industry, **watch **and **listen **to everything he says and does. Watch it from the general public’s viewpoint.

Now think back and critique the show from a Home Inspector’s perspective. Nit pick the hell out of it. Did he find anything of substance **before **he tore the walls apart? How many times did he cite “code”? How many **other **professionals did he have on site? How often did the other professionals find problems **halfway into **the repair? How many times did he “talk smack” about the Inspector?

Now we are just scratching the surface…

You make excellent point Mr.Jonas and I commend you also on your structure of your thought process, word phrasing and knowledge of the subject residential building inspection.
Maybe I am ‘‘as usual’’ misleading in my explanation.
I do not watch TV very often.No cable.Yes mom has cable to pass her latter years for she is some what unmobilized and blind’‘legally’ very impaired.I do not put it in my office ,living-room-bedroom.
I am looking at him as a TV guy ‘‘personality’’ for the TV audience.Factious and non truthful in many areas.
I am speaking of his show that he did on home inspectors,for one.
Secondly I speak of him as '‘not as from a building inspectors views him’'but as an audience would.Thats all the TV rep,s and producers want.The audience will not remember his forgetfulness to detail, code, proper building practices and yes at times good old common sense.IE: instead of spending moneys on doing a retro fit of a chimney liner to 6 inches, instead a simple fan as Cooke pointed out might of done the trick. The handyman might record his approach to whatever his project he may be, or wanting to do but he is just that a handy man,a non professional.
Some are crate-eking his every movement. I stated I do not know the man so I will not pass judgment on him.Only one I know has that authority. I have expressed my views on him catching defects others should have been aware of.
I do so enjoy the the mind stretching exercises you get from the message board but I will try note to judge other and if I have please excuse me for it is not my intent.
I have expressed that I am here for structure, discipline and hope to lead by proper example.
Thank you again Mr.Jonas, I do look at you as one that one should follow for in -site along with others that I admire for there great input to INACHI.
Man there are allot of you!

It is easier to steer a ship when she is under way. Mike Holmes ship is sailing without us. It is time to put this ‘hate’ we have on for Mr. Holmes, behind us and find a way to get to the rudder to change course. It is time for one of our H.I. organizations to infiltrate and influence.

We, as an industry and we as members of our various organizations can rail against Mike Holmes all we want. And guess what? Nothing changes. We need some enterprising group to find a way to use Mr. Holmes and his jaugernaught to our advantage.

JOIN US AT;
http://www.theachi.org

Maybe you can get him to join ACHI!!! But be careful he knows it all and will want to teach all the courses.

Sounds like the other Ontario associations where directors sell and teach many of the courses .

Let see any associations come to mind - please list them here: let’s call a spade a spade!

Feel free to add to the list

[FONT=Times New Roman][size=3]Claude you are try to play word games you are a prime example of what I am talking about a director of an association . I see nothing wrong with you and others selling programs teaching courses and mentoring Home Inspectors .
I do not feel you are at arms length and can exert an unfair influence on those who wonder about becoming a home inspector .
This to me is far from proper .
I am not saying you are a great teacher or the sales you make are I not great .
I do not feel you or the others who do similar things is correct .

Again I go back to every thing I read about being at arms length.
[/size][/FONT]

Mr.Luck
I am going to agree with you.You have made some sound statements here.

Roy - You raised the comment trying to smear obviously me and others. You should know better than to expect that naming names only causes responses, welcomed or not.

So please name the associations, so I can shoot down your theory, and name the ones that you tend to overlook or forget!

Hmm…let see - I will start that list - CanNACHI, INACHI/NACHI, OAHI, PHPIO(which morphed into PHPIC), ASHI, perhaps some factions within the ACHI, or how about the links to CMI? Simply link the directors with those that offer any form of education and/or training.

Do you see a common theme developing?

BTW - what association am I now named as a director by association? Perhaps you have not kept up with the news of my voluntary resignation and replacement.

Things change and people and conditions are not always what you think or believe.

I see so I should forget of all the years where you had been a director and did sales , teaching with various associations .
Past present of future wrong thing to do in my opinion .
Not trying to smear you just telling it the way it is or was .