NACHI Caravan - Approved for State CEUs?

Originally Posted By: jbushart
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Please post to this thread any updates as to the availability of state recognized continuing education units for courses that will be offered by the NACHI Caravan.

For instance, we know that the Caravan is scheduled to be in St. Louis, MO on 9/30 & 10/1. We also know that, as of yet, no announcement has been made as to whether or not any CEUs will be awarded to Illinois inspectors who attend.

When and if such recognition is provided by Illinois, or any other state that the Caravan will visit, please post it here. I will post a link to this site on the www.monachi.org web site for interested Illinois inspectors who may wish to attend this training. Other chapters may wish to follow suit.

Thanks.

--
Home Inspection Services of Missouri
www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

Anything, yet?

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: rbrown1

Jim,

We should have some info to post this coming week.

BTW, thanks for all the info! I made the mistake of printing it all ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Bob Brown
President NACHI Du-Ka Chapter ON. Canada
NACHI Cell: 1-484-429-5465

ACISS Home Inspections
bob@aciss.biz

Certified Adult Training Services
www.certifiedadulttrainingservices.com
info@certifiedadulttrainingservices.com

Hi, Bob,

We are less than two weeks away. What do you have on the approval by Illinois for CEU credits at this point?

--

www.monachi.org

Hi James,

Hopefully I will have some news for you on Monday.

Unfortunately I was not aware that we needed to have all this done prior to the announcement, so I am running a little behind.

I believe they are just waiting on the quiz/test questions and answers.
If I am correct these will be sent out Monday if they haven't been already.

As soon as I have any answers I'll let you know.

BTW, thanks for your help with that rather large list. It will certainly help now that I have most of the info I need.

--
Bob Brown

ACISS Home Inspections
bob@aciss.biz

Originally Posted By: rmyers1

Direct from the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulations

Please allow six weeks for processing this continuing education course application.

All course submissions must include:
1. A non refundable application fee of $50.00
2. The materials listed below

Course description
Comprehensive outline
( outline must contain length of time spent on each topic )
Exam (25 questions for every 3 hours of instruction)
Exam answer key
Materials to be provided to the students or a reasonable sample of such materials which will provide IDFPR with adequate documents that the course materials are relevant to the course outline.

Nothing has been submitted to the State of Illinois for approval.

To date I have received only a variety of comprehensive outlines.

I have only recently been informed, the 12 courses, NACHI ( is nearing completion on ), are in fact, these referenced "Caravan" courses.

As the NACHI, State of Illinois Educational Administrator, I will provide whatever assistance may be necessary to get these courses submitted and approved, as quickly as possible.

All courses, which are to be submitted to the State of Illinois for approval, must first be sent to this office for review and endorsement, as required by the State of Illinois.

Address:
Russ Myers
NACHI, State of Illinois Education Administrator
2800 North Pine Grove, Ste #7G
Chicago, Illinois 60657-6141

For direct contact, feel free to call me......Tel: 312-551-1400

Regarding the NACHI Caravan…

Please understand a few things from our perspective. When this idea of taking education on the road first came up, we were aware that "eventually" all of the courses we provide (some of which have been posted and some of which are being worked on) would be State Certified/Sanctioned.

It was NOT our understanding this would be a requirement prior to launching this campaign. However, with that being stated, many members have stepped up to the plate to help this certification process come to fruition.

We, (CATS) run three small training facilities here in Canada. The courses we provide our students are obviously not the courses we take to the road, otherwise the certification process would be simple.

Therefore, we are currently in the process of writing new ones, some basic and some more indepth.

As Canadian regulations for H.I. training are non existent, we were taken back somewhat regarding the American market. Therefore, we are feverishly playing "catch-up".

We will do our utmost to have all requirements deliverd in a timely manner to each State as we become aware of those particular requirements. However, this is not the only task we have on our plate. So, I ask for your patience and understanding.

I will say this much, if we are to run a course in any State that we do not either meet or have the cetification approval prior to running the course, we will return to that State and offer our services for free to ensure all are able to receive their State-approved CEU's.

Helen (CATS), Aimee (NACHI) and myself are working on all of this as we speak. It is my understanding, Aimee along with Nick, are submitting our information to various States now. Regarding Illinois, we will have all the requirements satisfied prior to conducting any courses in that State. It is also my understanding that everything required to apply for this will be sent to you, Russell, as soon as it is properly completed.

Thank You,

--
Bob Brown

ACISS Home Inspections
bob@aciss.biz

Originally Posted By: rmyers1

These State approvals take time to process.

I think everyone may be a little anxious.

I also believe combining NACHI and State credits is something new for NACHI.

We ( NACHI ) currently have one NACHI course approved, and one submitted, to the State of Illinois. Others, like yours, are pending.

The State of Illinois is one of the toughest in which to get course approvals.

If the paperwork is not submitted as per their directions, any infraction, they reject it for correction. And of course charge an additional fee.

Currently, the State of Illinois is accepting only 3 hours or 6 hours on any given day. 12 hour courses are usually split into two 6 hour courses, ( 2 ) days.

We, the NACHI Chicago Chapter, actually have a committee, besides myself, who review these course materials prior to submitting them to the State.

Again, if we can be of any assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks Russel!

AS soon as we have everything compiled we will be sure to send it out to you.

I would also like to Thank J. Bushart for everything he has sent us. It was a pile of reading and with that we are slowly working our way to be approved in as many States as possible.

--
Bob Brown

ACISS Home Inspections
bob@aciss.biz

Originally Posted By: wdecker

Robert, et al.

I believe that the root of this problem is the different things that pop into different people,s minds when the use the tetm 'continuing education'. At NACHIm the use thr term to refer to HI enrichment classes that they can put to use for marketing leverage. In non-license states, it is used to mean more learning for inspectors and, likely, ignored. But in license states (like Illinois) it is used to refer to house that must be accumulated in order to keep ones license and stay in business.

Jim has a number of Illinois inspectors in his Missouri chapter and, like a good leader, is looking out for the needs of his constituants. The problem is that when the PR department at NACHI starts publishing these announcments, they a) usually fail to mention, or even recognize and clearly state, the difference between NACHI credit and state credit and b) license state inspectors sometimes read what they want to read, instead of what the words actually say. They are in such need of state approved CE that they will grasp at any straw.

Hope this helps to clear the air and get everyone on the same page.

Thanks;

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076
wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Will,

It took me so long to decipher what you wrote that I failed to get the meaning of your statement.

Please use spell-check. An occasional misspelling is fine. But damn man - ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

wdecker wrote:

The problem is that when the PR department at NACHI starts publishing these announcments, they:

a) usually fail to mention the difference between NACHI credit and state credit
b) license state inspectors ...are in such need of state approved CE that they will grasp at any straw.

Thanks

The NACHI Caravan presently does not met Illinois CEU requirements.

More CEU approved to meet State requirements is necessary.

Clear enough?

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

jhagarty wrote:
wdecker wrote:

The problem is that when the PR department at NACHI starts publishing these announcments, they:

a) usually fail to mention the difference between NACHI credit and state credit
b) license state inspectors ...are in such need of state approved CE that they will grasp at any straw.

Thanks

The NACHI Caravan presently does not met Illinois CEU requirements.

More CEU approved to meet State requirements is necessary.

Clear enough?

Thanks Joe or Nanci,

Yea. That helped.

Will,

The NACHI Caravan does meet Illinois CEU requirements. They are in the approval process now.

NACHI is doing its best to assist your state. Hopefully you and your chapter members are also working on this. Hope your not being totally dependent on NACHI.

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

jbowman wrote:

Will,

The NACHI Caravan does meet Illinois CEU requirements. They are in the approval process now.

![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif)

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

jhagarty wrote:
jbowman wrote:

Will,

Originally Posted By: wdecker

Point very much taken, John. I type haphazardly this early.

I am working with Russ myers and Ken Dempski (NACHI CHicago's Education charman) to get more NACHI state approved courses in Illinois. We plan to provide these to all Illinois inspectors, not just Chicago area ones.

I was just trying to address the perception issue.

Ak a recent conference here, we (NACHI Chicago) had a booth and we got some visits from representatives from other associations. They were somewhat, shall we say, non-plussed, by our efforts and plans to provide now cost (less expensive than what is currently offered by them) AND quality (most of the courses already offered are pretty easy) CE. They seemed a little undercut. This is a good thing for two reasons:

1) We can raise NACHI's status with all Illinois inspectors.
2) We can, through the quality of the courses, raise the bar on what CE should be (actually learning someting that you didn't already know).

I also talked with people from the state board who approves CE. They were very happy at our efforts and will be very supportive. They, too, see the need for higher quality CE.

Hope this helps.

--
Will Decker
Decker Home Services
Skokie, IL 60076
wjd@DeckerHomeServices.com

jbowman wrote:
jhagarty wrote:
jbowman wrote:

Will,

John,

This is new information.

I have been telling Illinois Inspectors who have called and asked that the training has yet to be approved for CEUs in Illinois.

Please clarify.

--

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: ksitzes

How come we always wait to the last minute to try to get the CEU approved to meet State requirements. I would think that you would of done this when you started up the NACHI Caravan knowing that you are travel to state that require CEU credits. Even if you do not plan travel to them state. If close enough the Inspector will travel there for the credits. Still the 2006 Convention is not approved so inspector are going to other Convention for there state require CEU.

Ken,

Good post. Except they are doing the Missouri scene which does not require approval. They are not doing Illinois training yet.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Ken,

Illinois approval is being worked on until we speak. You say "last minute"? The convention is still 5? months away.

If nothing was rolled out until it was perfect, and all bases were covered, too many would miss out on worthwhile projects as most would never become reality. Just one of life's truisms.