Randon Measurement Test Frustration

Hi all, just needed to vent. Took my NRPP Radon Measurement Provider exam today at a PSI exam center. I completed the NACHI Advanced Radon Course, Studied the guide and passed the NACHI exam with a 90…well the exam they give at the location contained a lot of questions that were very off the topic of being a measurement provider. The questions dealt with data based on EPA statistics and didn’t really focus on the measurement and mitigation portions. The breakdown of the exam at the end showed a large portion of the questions were based on health effects (which were just statistics). It’s very frustrating to have spent the time on studying for an exam only to have questions on the test that really didn’t apply to the reason for the test in the first place IMHO.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Needless to say I missed passing the exam by 11 points…all of which were questions that I was not prepared for.

Now I at least know what to focus on moving forward…lesson learned.

2 Likes

I feel you bud. I took the exam last fall. I studied for a week. Took a class provided by a radon professional (who was very knowledgeable). I felt very prepared going into the exam. However, when the exam was distributed I quickly realized that over half the info I studied was waste of time (at least for the test). I luckily ended up passing, not with a grade I was proud of but nonetheless passing.

Now I’m in the process of getting licensed by the PA DEP. This is a whole other beast! The thing I keep asking is this: If radon is such a health problem and officials are pressing for measuring and mitigating, why aren’t they doing more to help people get licensed! They make this whole process very difficult and of course expensive!

2 Likes

I’m scheduled to take my test in less then a week. Thanks for the heads up on the health statistic part of the test. I took and passed the InterNachi radon tests with flying colors but I’m not so optimistic about the nrpp exam I’m about to take.

The InterNachi Radon course sure has a ton of good material but in my opinion it all seems rather crammed in and without focus. I wish InterNachi also offered up some videos with this Radon course, like they have with the other courses here. It’s ridiculous that the EPA doesn’t even offer a study guide of any kind to prepare for the test.

4 Likes

The EPA, AARST, and NRPP all made sure that InterNACHI’s online radon course has everything in it you need. I know you don’t believe me, but there is no question in the NRPP exam that isn’t discussed in our course.

It’s the largest, most robust, most approved radon course in existence.

The course includes:

• 137,092 words;
  • numerous graphics, images, illustrations, and tables;
  • 123 quiz questions in 13 quizzes

Course covers the following:

Introduction

What is Radon?

Definitions     

Acronyms

Physics of Radon

Why Some Atoms are Radioactive?

Pioneers in Radioactivity

Non-Ionizing and Ionizing

Non-Ionizing Radiation

Ionizing Radiation

Alpha Particles

Beta Particles

Gamma Rays and X-Rays

Where Does Radon Come From?

Who Discovered Radon?

Uranium

Uranium Decay Chain           

Radon Half-Life

Curies, Equations, and ER

Summary

Quiz #1

Health Effects

Health Risks Introduction     

Health Effects of Radon

Radon Causes Lung Cancer

Genetic Damage Caused by Radon

Risk Assessment Facts

Quiz #2

Radon Entry

Exposure to Radon

Radon Entry into a House

Radon Potential

Geology of Radon

How Does Radon Change in the Environment?

How Are People Exposed to Radon?

How Does Radon Get Into the Body?

How Can Radon Affect Your Health?

Medical Test to Determine Exposure?

Protecting People from Radon

Protect Yourself and Family

Recommendations

What is EPA Doing About Radon?

Quiz #3

General Testing Procedures

General Procedural Recommendations

Action Levels, Mitigation, and Water

Short-Term Tests

Long-Term Tests

Initial Client Interview

Measurement Locations

Radon Measurement Duration

Written Measurement Guidance

Quality Assurance in Radon Testing

Calibration Measurements

Known Exposure Measurements

Background Measurements

Duplicate Measurements       

Routine Instrument Performance Checks

Operating Procedures

Reporting Test Results

Accuracy & Precision

Interpretation of Side-by-Side Results

Recommendations for Mitigation

Temporary Risk-Reduction Measures

Worker Safety

Quiz #4

Non-Real Estate Protocols

Introduction

Radon Measurement Protocols

Citizen�s Guide to Radon

Measurement Location

Initial Measurements

Closed House Building Conditions

Interpretation of Initial Results

Follow-Up Measurements

Short-Term and Long-Term

Follow-Up Testing

Quiz #5

Real Estate Protocols

Home Buyer�s and Seller�s Guide

Sequential Testing

Simultaneous Testing

Single Test Option

Measurement Location

Measurement Checklist

Interference-Resistant Testing

Influencing the Test Area�s Concentration

Equipment Interference

Preventing Interference

Interference-Resistant Detectors       

Quiz #6

QA and QC

Introduction

QA and QC Defined

Elements of a QA Program for Radon

Responsibilities

Quality Management

QA Documentation & Reporting      

Calibration

Quality Control         

QA Plans

Analysis & Interpretation of QC

Quiz #7

Passive Devices

General Considerations for Passive & Active

Continuous Working-Level Monitor CW

Alpha-Track Detectors (AT or ATD)

Electret Ion Chamber Radon Detectors (EC, ES, EL)

Activated-Charcoal Adsorption Devices (AC)

Charcoal Liquid Scintillation (LS)

Grab Sampling Bag & 3-Day Scintillation Cells

Unfiltered Track Detection (UT)

Quiz #8

Active Devices

Introduction

Radon Progeny-Integrating Sampling Units

Grab-Sampling Working Level (GW)

Continuous Radon Monitors (CR)

Quiz #9

Mitigation for Existing Homes

Introduction   

Background

Purpose

Scope

Assumption

Implementation

Limitations     

Reference Documents

Description of Terms

General Practices       

Building Investigation

Worker Health & Safety

System Design

System Installation

Materials

Monitors & Labeling

Post-Mitigation Testing

Contracts & Documentation

Quiz #10

Mitigation for New Homes

EPA Model Standards for New Residences

Scope

Limitations     

Reference Documents

Description of Terms

Principles for Construction   

Summary of Model Building Standards

Construction Methods          

Recommended Procedures

Building Standards & Techniques

Quiz #11

How to Build Radon-Resistant Homes

Building Radon Out

Building the Framework: Introduction

Digging Deeper: Questions and Answers

How Does Radon Enter a House?

Does Foundation Type Affect Radon Entry?

Should All New Homes Be Built Radon-Resistant

Nuts and Bolts: Installation Guide

Installation: Step 1

Installation: Step 2 & 3

Installation: Step 4

Installation: Step 5

Installation: Step 6

Installation: Step 7

Optional Step 8: Activating the System

Sold: Working with Home Buyers

Appendix A: Architectural Drawings

Appendix B: Glossary

Appendix C: For More Information

Appendix D: State Radon Contacts

Radon in Water

Radon in Water

Removal of Radon in Water

Quiz #12

Standards for Inspecting Radon Mitigation System

Standards of Practice for Inspecting Radon Systems

Code of Ethics

Code of Ethics

Quiz #13
2 Likes

It is true the exam is a PITA. I didn’t pass the first time becasue I was blind sided by the type of questions they asked. I did pass the second time by a wide margin becasue I knew where to focus my studying on.

Also the InterNACHI course did have everything that I needed to pass and that is all I used for reference. It was just being able to weed through it to do a better job of test prepping myself if that makes any sense.

2 Likes

I will be taking that exam soon, what areas do you suggest I focus on for the exam?

All of them, the test covers all of the categories listed on the left of the screen in the advanced radon course. I made the mistake of thinking the test would be limited to mostly testing procedure questions:neutral:…Upon failing they gave me a nice going away present, a list of the categories with the number of questions per category.

Good luck!

1 Like

I just returned from taking my NRPP exam. I PASSED! I didn’t get a grade I’m proud of, but all that really matter is that I passed, I guess. I studied here on InterNACHI the most, but a few days before the test I found some very good study guides on Google search that helped me understand it all even more.

As others here have said, make sure you know the pros and cons of all testing devices, as that is a large portion of the exam. Another area I should have focused more on was the EPA consumer guidelines to radon, there is a lot covered on that. Good lucky everyone!

1 Like

Congrats. Now how about sharing those links so others may take advantage of the info. Thx.

All I can say is type this into google “radon and radon decay product measurement course” there are some root directories with good course pdf docs.:smiley:

So, you come to the MB and glean information from others posts, and when asked to reciprocate, it’s “go to hell”! I see how you are.

1 Like

Wow! You have some issues! I didn’t say “hell no”, I just did it that way because I’m not getting into trouble posting material from other programs here. The information I found on google was from another paid course. Maybe if you weren’t so lazy and would have actually looked, you would see why I didn’t post a direct link here. Sorry but I don’t owe YOU anything!

First off, Jeffrey! I didn’t “glean” information from no one. The courses offered here I paid for with my membership fee! Second if you weren’t so lazy and look at what I posted before jumping to conclusions, maybe you would have found the reason I didn’t post a direct link here. The material is from another paid course program and they left a backdoor open into some of their course material. So if some one wants the material they would have to do a little search work themselves to find it, like I did. I helped as much as I can without getting into trouble for posting it here. That is why I just posted the keywords to search for!

Wow… no friggin’ sense of humor. Take a pill before you have a heart attack! :shock:

I took the NACHI courses before my required Florida training courses last year and the state exam and aced it - I mean aced it. What the state courses covered felt like a mild review compared to what had already learned. I feel that the NACHI courses are far more in depth and better…just my experience though.

It’s definitely the hardest test I’ve taken. You basically have to study all the stuff that you think no one would one ever ask on a test. It’s all in the NACHI course, but most people glance over the minutia.

I’m pretty sure they ask for Marie Curies serial number and birthday.

3 Likes

Even though I didn’t pass the test with the score I wanted, I do think I almost studied too in-depth into the material. I feared the test would have a lot of math and nuclear physics but it didn’t have very much of that material. The few math conversions and nuclear physic questions were all pretty basic.

The NRPP exam I took was more on basic statistics and on EPA consumer focused testing, then it was on service testing providers. Focus mostly on statistics like smoker vs. nonsmoker, pros vs cons of different measurement devices. I would say I got a ton of knowledge from InterNachi’s Radon Measurement Course that will help me in the future, but to do well on the exam look more so at basic EPA radon publications.

Thank you all for having been there and done that. With all your experiences I hope that I’m restudying the proper material for my test tomorrow. I’ve been trying to find example questions online but there is nothing really out there. I did find the University of Minnesota offers a Radon Course though, so thank Google.

I just finished the NRPP Test
Failed
91 on the InterNACHI Radon Test

Need to focus on two areas is study

Physics Equasions

Types of test equipment

Jay Biddle

2 Likes

Here’s some more info on the NRPP test (Sept 2017) for those who will be taking it.

1. The NRPP student section has some training material. There are two sets of flash cards with about 200 questions on measurement and mitigation. Those were helpful and some of the test questions were based on those flash cards.
  2. The mix of the 100 questions seems to have remained the same as what I saw in another earlier NACHI post on the test.
  3. Review the EPA Citizen’s Guide. Some questions were pulled from it.
1 Like