TEI needs qualified Nachi inspectors with General, Building or Res

Me to. Sign me up at those prices.

Just FYI…the normal time it takes for these inspections is 45 minutes…when done right with pictures and everything needed.

Do they do these where you are also?

Not in Wisconsin if that is what you are asking…just know from being directly involved…our software creates the new Wind Mitigation form also.

Perhaps there is something more that i will understand once i have been here awhile. But make no mistake, business and competition go hand in hand, and the market bears what the economy will allow. I personally like to take advatage of as many opportunities as possible, whether they are stellar or marginal - they still represent opportunities. I’m not necessarily new to the industry, just a new InterNACHI member. I did my first Wind Mitigation and home inspection long before the wave of inspection companies were even conceived. The opportunity that i see in this is two fold. First, it will get the ball rolling for my newly formed home inspection company by filling a large portion of available time, and secondly, it will give me the opportunity to strategically hand out my business credentials 50 times a week. An inspection done for half price may lead to another more desirable inspection at a premium. Good service leads to word of mouth, which brings the stellar jobs. It worked in construction and engineering, and it will work in the home inspection business alike.

Having said that, you are right, I will understand after i have been here awhile.

Best of luck to all.

Dennis P. Quigley
HomeSpector

Jeff,
I just think most of the inspectors can do the field work on the average job in around 20 minutes. Once they are experienced in the field.

Dennis,
I would read all the fine print in those contracts and ask those who run the program if it is ok for you to solicit work while you are in the field representing them. I am curious what they would say. I like your thoughts on that if they would allow it.

Actually 45 minutes is probably too little time for all the things that are SUPPOSED to be done on these inspections…with the pictures that are to be taken with the nail lengths and distances between them…etc. The insurance companies are looking for more proof of what you see this time around because of all the problems previously. Depending on the house…if you are doing it in 20 minutes you are probably not doing it right. Just my 2 cents.

How many have you done?

I got my information directly from the company dealing with the contractors and Citizens and that is the average time they are taking…(that would be for the thousands that have been done)…and I just got back from the FABI seminar last weekend sitting in on all the changes that are happening this time around. I also talked to many of the Florida inspectors that are attempting to do them.

The inspection time varies based on each property.

Outside if there are no shutters and the windows / doors are not impact rated that saves time.

In the attic if the roof deck attachment can be found easily that saves time.

If the roof to wall connections are easily accessed that saves time as well.

We estimate on average an inspection takes 30 minutes. After the inspection is completed the paperwork takes 10-30 minutes depending on computer skill and internet connection.

I have been on inspections that only take 15 minutes, and others that take over an hour.

Chris,

I got your message and tried to call you back but only got your automated system. Is there a direct number that i can call.

You can reach me via e-mail if you prefer: [email protected]

Exactly…my feeling that Mike’s AVERAGE time of 20 minutes was not realistic and that an AVERAGE of 45 minutes is closer…which is twice as long.

Yes…of course if the house is NOT mitigated in any way then it is much quicker…it is the homes that ARE that you need to spend the time to make sure it was done correctly to make sure the owner gets the insurance credits deserved when done right. When over half of the previous inspected homes were done incorrectly and now need to be re-inspected…something wasn’t getting done right.

Jeff,

You have done none I have done hundreds. When nothing goes wrong and the client has their crap together and keeps their mouth closed it takes very little time. I let them know in advance what they need and what I need ready so I can be in and out. I verify all my findings by photo and even explain to the customer how I came across each answer. Sometimes things do not go so smoothly but most of the time they do. There is no doubt about it I hustle and do not take a leisurely stroll chatting away as I go.

Attention All Wind Mitigation Inspectors:

How Long Does It Take You to Do The Field Work?
How Many Have You Done ?

Me on average 20 to 25 minutes and I have done hundreds.

With over 6000 personally done, I would have to say the only prediction of time is the neighborhood(house design). The field time is 15 mins to an hour. The home design is the key. Paperwork/office time will vary greatly also with system used.

I’ll sum this entire post up by saying “You get what you pay for.”

$55 dollar QAs should get real interesting.

I’m fortunate that I do not have to work for peanuts but I am sure there are others who are starving.

My 2 cents is the inspection time should be about 30 mins on average. 5 Mins to schedule, your drive time, and then the paperwork.

QAs are going to be much different. I would imagine the scheduling wont be as smooth, the inspection time should take a bit longer since you will be looking at properties that have probably been flagged for “issues”, and not to mention dealing with an inconvenienced homeowner.

If you’re going to participate in this program the best of luck to you.

My advise would be to spend the extra time marketing your area. I get $100-$125 for wind mits and have no problem filling the week up with them.

I had one send one back to me recently saying they require a diagram of the house showing the roof types and lengths of each wall. I told them I am performing a wind mitigation report and nowhere on the form does it state I need to draw and provide a diagram of the house. The 1802 asks a simple question, “What type of roof is it?”. If they would like a diagram for their records, they can hire and pay me (instead of the homeowners) and pay for my drafting abilities. Drafting out the homes roofs and measurements will defiinately increase the inspection length and should increase the inspection pay. They are pushing us for more and more things, hoping we’ll just keep giving and giving…more work, less pay.

Honestly, trying to squeeze 10 inspections in one day is asking for the same problems and mistakes that the MSFH program had. Especially in this heat. People will be trying to rush through them and there will be more mistakes. Perhaps more pay and less inspections per day and there will be fewer mistakes. Afterall isn’t that the reason they want them reinspected in the first place?

Print the diagram from the property appraiser website and take to the inspection. Fill out the percentages of the roof types on the picture and it takes a couple extra minutes.

My advice is Never give them more than you have to because they will expect it every time. They are trying to get you to do more than you are being paid for and there is no chance that is required for form 1802. The MSFH program had something like that in it and I think the citizens re-inspection program will as well but I would not do it without getting more money. Maybe as a favor I would do what Jorge said ONCE.

Jorge, that would be great if my county PA website had the diagrams available, but it doesn’t. We would have to measure and draw them ourselves on the site. With some 2 & 3 storey homes with doormers, cross gables, flats, etc., it won’t just take a couple of extra minutes…I’m just saying, keep all that in mind.

Mike, I remember you writing that same statement about 4 months ago…you were right.

Thanks, it happens every once and a while.