Unidentified metal strap

I inspected a Houston, Texas townhouse yesterday, and found a rectangular piece of metal, a strap, extended from the first floor, through the floor and was attached to the second floor framework There was only 1 strap that I found in the house anyone know what it is and why it is thereMetal strap.pdf (487.3 KB)

Maybe a hurricane strap?

They use straps to “connect” brace different sections of buildings. As Martin suggested.
Gables and rafters are common areas. Hurricane retrofits and such.
You can also look up structural strap and the world :earth_americas: is yours.

A picture is worth 1,000 words!

1 Like

I wasn’t able to extract the picture from the report, but I printed it to PDF I have attached the page in the report that had a picture of the strap on both floors. Let me know if it helped. I added it to the forum. The strap is in the 5th and 6th picture.

Outlook-w15sawiq.png

Metal strap.pdf (487 KB)

Albert can I ask you what your experiences with new construction is and new construction inspections?

You may want to refer to studs as studs instead of boards.

You may want to refer to exterior sheathing as exterior sheathing instead of exterior pieces.

That’s just one page of your report!

Never admit you don’t know what something is in your construction reports. Make some phone calls, get educated and report properly.

4 Likes

It’s structural strap. Prevents separation or uplifting.
You may want to review that report with someone.

As others have indicated that is an uplift strap. In your neck of the woods (Houston) if you’re only seeing one, and no other uplift provisions, you have another major issue.

From the one page of your report:

Pic 1 - What is the purpose of that block between studs? Was it the only one and that PVC pipe strapped to it?

Pic 2, 3 - That appears to be OX Thermoply sheathing with at least three issues with it. If that’s the way it’s installed around the home that is another significant issue.

Pic 4, 5 - The uplift strap is not properly installed. Also look at the built-up stud packs in pic 5. What is above them and why where they built-up? That might indicate that framing below is not sufficiently installed for support.

On your site you list TDLR #19120901 . TDLR does not show that number active. What license is that suppose to be? On your site you list TDA #O828332. TDA does not show a listing for that license number. What license is that suppose to be for?

Metal strap.pdf (487.3 KB)

2 Likes

That whole .pdf is interesting. The short board with 4 nails looks like they were too lazy to go grab another 2x4x(x) to complete the span. The next 2, does the Houston area require Tyvek or similar house wrap for new construction? The addition of a house wrap would remedy that. The next 2, does the Houston area require hurricane ties between the 1st and 2nd floors? The last photo looks like rough framing was off by that much, but when the window was framed in it was plumbed correctly.

Houston would be in a category for wind speed. Texas is another animal.

1 Like

What about house wrapping? I would think it being that windy you’d need some sort of barrier.

As @mwilles put it, if you are going to be referring to various framing members in a report, call it by it’s proper name. In picture #6 you are looking at jack studs and king studs. In picture #1 it would be “blocking”. Don’t take this the wrong way but, If you were writing a report for somebody with even some construction knowledge, this report would make you look very unprofessional. As others have stated, NEVER put in a report that you don’t know what something is. Again, makes you look bad. If you don’t know what you are looking at, do some research before writing the report and get informed. Ask for help here if you need to. There are plenty of HIs here that are willing to help. The only dumb question is the one that is not asked. BTW, use spell check. Many typos in this page you shared…

2 Likes

I will review my report on the questions you raised to be sure I addressed them in it. Unfortunately I am running. I am attaching a picture of my TDA license.

It seems as if you are putting me on trail, and I do not appreciate it.

Of you feel the need please check out my schooling, and of course my military record, and if I need to I can get a letter from my wife.
While I do appreciate you input on the home inspection, I do not, in any way, approve of being research, investigated, and published. Because I asked a question.
I promise to keep it to inspectors in my area, rather than deal with you again.

Sincerely,

Albert H. Roberts

AR Home Inspection, PLLC.

(281) 650-5689

TREC 23767 Professional Real Estate Inspector

TDA. 0828322 Commercial Termite, BUG-X, LLC.

TDLR 19120901 Mold Assurance Apprentice

Member of:

InterNACHI.

ASHI

1 Like

Albert I see you met the little guy from Texas. Good luck with him🙂

Someone should hang a sign on him. Even though I did get an answer. I do not take abuse well.

Sincerely,

Albert H. Roberts

(281) 650-5689

Member of:

InterNACHI.

ASHI

2 Likes

To begin with you need to learn how to take criticism, both constructive and otherwise. Secondly you need to grow a thick skin and learn how to not melt down when your shortcomings are shown to you.

After reading your report page that you provided I went to your WEB site to see if you provided any background to explain that reporting and wording style. While there, as I do for anyone whose site I visit, I ran your licenses and provided you with information that you should already be aware of IF you are taking the time to ensure TDLR and TDA databases are correct. It was nothing more than a courtesy notification to you since plenty of consumers are smart enough to do the same. As for your license picture it means nothing to anyone with intelligence since they too can photoshop any license they want.

As the “Has Been Plumber” has already stated you need to obtain an education before you perform more new construction phase inspections. From the one page of your report I most certainly have to wonder how many things you have missed just on that inspection? Even though TREC does not control phase inspections you are using your Texas “Professional Inspector” license as a draw to consumers for phase inspections. As such you are still bound by Rule 535.220, even with phase inspections.

Now if you feel that I am abusing you then you are certainly within your rights to file a complaint against me with TREC which, in your line of thinking, would also fall under Rule 535.220. Of course we both know how far that’s not going!

Sounds like you got the little guy on the ropes. I’d file a harassment complaint. There’s no place on this forum for a bully. I’ve delt with the bean brain in the past and shut him down.

2 Likes

I thought he was being too picky in my opinion. My question is, If inspecting a draw inspection do you speculate as to the required fasteners or do you look at the architect or engineers plans to determine the specs?

Thank you very much for you FBI review and criticism. You are wrong, I may fail, buy I will never beat someone down who has perform and illustrate the desire and ability to.move people forward, providing a quality service. I am now locking you and all of your negative connections.

I will continue to perform quality insections, but you have cause me to block all communications. I can not perform when ridiculed for my best effort. If you wanted to help you would have directed me to it.
If InterNachi wanted to proa timely increase knowledge and performance they would block you.
I am now blocking All INTERNACHI communication.
I would rather be cast into the see’s of HELL than ever orisponde with a premadona as you. As as representatives this global organization, I quit.
You have driven me into self existence.
I will never ask a question b elapse of FEAR you would respond and drive me I to a cave.
I do not want your self criticism, just you I nput for the question asked.
Since an answer is not in your vocabulary, your problem.
I do not need a THICK SKIN. I’m fine. So you have nothing to do but talk bad about people who do things.
This is my last communication with InterNACHI.
I am canceling my mbership, I wil not partly to be insulted.
It was nice before…
Goodbye

Sincerely,

Albert H. Roberts

(281) 650-5689

Member of:

InterNACHI.

ASHI

Please discontinue my membership. I will dispute any and all future expenses I will not pay to be spoke of in such ways. I would suggest ASHI, they will send you leads, not antagonist.

Outlook-w15sawiq.png